Long weekend, back your s up!

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Long weekend, back your s up!

Post by kslight » Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:17 pm

It's been said a thousand times before but I don't think it hurts to say it again..

It's a long weekend and it doesn't take very much time or effort to setup a Time Machine drive or similar at the very least...make the time!

Just had my boot drive fail...it's 5 years old so it was gonna happen...but other than the financial impact of buying new drives and the time factor of waiting for the backup to restore...should be painless. Could have been much worse...but I know plenty of folks that live dangerously so I just thought I'd say spend a few minutes of your weekend making sure you've got a good backup system in place!

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:29 am

After plugging in the new drives, formatting, and setting up overnight to restore from Time Machine?everything is back in business like it never happened. Awesome

tjcasey1
takin' a dinner break

Post by tjcasey1 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:32 am

Anyone who doesn't back up their stuff to at least two different hard drives is a fool.

A fool like myself, until it happened to me once - I lost everything. It'll never happen again, though!

Your hard drive will fail eventually. Could be today, could be next year. But it will fail, and you'll either be simply annoyed because now you need to get a new drive and copy all your stuff, or you'll be devastated because all your work will be gone forever.....

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:46 am

I was feeling paranoid so I even got a second time machine drive going, this one an internal...so basically time machine is setup to backup every other time alternatively to each drive...so to an external drive first, then an internal an hour later, then back to the external... This is only for my system drive and ongoing project drive, finished projects are backed up more permanently online and to blu Ray.