Gritty RE-201

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

mrfiama
audio school

Gritty RE-201

Post by mrfiama » Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:58 pm

Hi,

First post in this forum, it' good to see some tape echo love round here :) I recently scored a RE-201 in pretty good condition. The unit have remained unused 15 years, and the previous owner recalls a couple of service checks.

The tape runs ok, no speed issues, and it get into oscillation easily, although I did have to clean the heads, tape path and spent some time with the head alignment. I got an old NOS Maxell xli 35 90b to make my own loops from the owner. I did a couple but none sounds good. The tone through the unit is pretty good, but the repeats are way too gritty, no hi frequencies, like the tape was messed.

I opened it and did some adjusting with the internal trimmers, nothing improved. I bought a demagnetizer and a couple of tape loops on ebay, that's the last thing to try. Does this problem sound familiar to you?

Regards.

Drone
re-cappin' neve

Post by Drone » Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:06 pm

How bad is bad? I've never met a vintage tape delay that didn't lose clarity in the high end on repeat, that's part of their charm, but is your unit excessive?
The previous statement is from a guy who records his own, and other projects for fun. No money is made.

mrfiama
audio school

Post by mrfiama » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:35 pm

Hi, thanks for answering.

Here is a recording with my mobile phone (and some background noise)

https://soundcloud.com/trasteos/re-201

The repeats are there but there's lack of definition. The reverb is of but it sounds like it's on. I've heard a lot of examples that sound much more clear than mine.

Does this have something to do with the bias or magnitzed heads?

Drone
re-cappin' neve

Post by Drone » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:42 pm

Doesn't sound that bad to me.

http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopic.php?t=81531

That is the space echo thread, you may want to check it out. :?
The previous statement is from a guy who records his own, and other projects for fun. No money is made.

southsider
pluggin' in mics

Post by southsider » Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:48 pm

I use a 201 pretty regularly. It doesn't sound like yours is too far out or anything. First thing to try would be ordering a new tape loop online, or making your own out of some new 1/4'' tape. Look up re-201 tape loop on ebay.

I've found that NOS tape just sheds and starts dropping out. I think that maxxell type you mentioned is pretty old too.