Glass Block Windows

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

the finger genius
re-cappin' neve

Glass Block Windows

Post by the finger genius » Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:16 pm

I'm building a rooftop addition for band practice, need some windows for light but not necessarily ventilation. I like the look of these, and they seem like a relatively good, cheap middle road option. Walls will be double layer sheetrock with greenglue. Anybody have any experience with these in a situation where sound reduction is important?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Clearly-Secu ... /206415808
vvv wrote:
That said, what I'm gettin' at is, perfectionism is for the truly defective.

You may quote me.

norton
buyin' a studio

Post by norton » Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:13 am

Glass block is ok....it doesn't have any astounding sound isolation properties.

I'd suggest installing an inner and an outer double hung or slider window assembly. I've used these to great effect. You can open both windows for fresh air....you can see out and a pair of decent to high quality multiple panes double hung windows will out perform glass block.

Rooftop addition? Id strongly suggest putting a ton of effort into decoupling your floor and in thermal as well as acoustic targeted insulation.

Sound transmissions through the floor are particularly tough to deal with....those structure borne noises can pretty much go anywhere. So make sure you get that part of the equation right..... or all your other sound isolation efforts could be made in vain.

the finger genius
re-cappin' neve

Post by the finger genius » Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:57 am

Thanks, the floor does have me worried. As of now are thinking of 2 layers of homasote with greenglue in between below the floor, does that make sense? I don't think we can do poured concrete.

I like the idea of 2 windows (one on interior and one on exterior of double stud wall if I am understanding you correctly) will talk to the contractor about that. Would they share a frame? Just thinking aesthetically if you can see into the walls around them in the air gap between the walls / windows.

For AC we are doing ductless AC, I hope this will minimize leakage, in any case I think it's our best option.
vvv wrote:
That said, what I'm gettin' at is, perfectionism is for the truly defective.

You may quote me.

norton
buyin' a studio

Post by norton » Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:45 am

The plan for your floor is definitely looking in the right direction. Normally, you could decouple the ceiling below....but in a remodel that might not be an option. If the lower floor ceiling can't be decoupled with rc or clips. You may want another layer of material on the floor.
In addition to help out with structural flanking by decoupling your drums and amp rigs from the floor. Simple decoupling risers should be very helpful.
If you are adding another layer of mass it wouldn't need to be green glued. I'm just thinking of adding mass. Plywood ? Osb sub floor something like that.

As far as the windows....the framing depends on your wall thickness. Most of the time there will be a 4" or more space between the windows. Easy to finish off with wood. Possible to finish with Sheetrock and paint as well. If you've got any auralex laying around that space between windows may be the ideal place to,use it.

Ductless ac....like a split unit for that space only . They work very well. Super efficient too.