What's in a studio name?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:38 pm

Gregg Juke wrote:The Sonic Vault.

Our old place was in an old office building out of the 40s/50s and one of the rooms actually had a bank vault.

GJ
Some years ago we hadda practice space inna a old bank on the N.E. corner of Humbolt Park (literally, the park) that the bassist was re-habbing into a apartment building for the owner in exchange for being able to live there; in the basement was a old vault that was like 2' thick of concrete.

They had taken the doors offa the thing but unfortunately I really didn't get into recording until around then when I bought a Tascam Porta2 - I will also mention that I did a cuppla demos for his girlfriend's band in that building (we didn't use the vault what was inna filthy basement), The Barbie Army, and they got Metro and Checketboard Lounge gigs from them - I'm still proud of that.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:22 pm

I think your studio name is very important. Mine was "Laundry Rules Recording" at my old home because some previous tenants had written their wasting rules on the wall. It was a funny name, but Laundry Room existed in Seattle and that was too similar, plus people would say it with emphasis on "rules", as if laundry was really cool. That was dumb. When Elliott Smith and I opened Jackpot! we picked a name after signing the lease and over breakfast. There were Trivial Pursuit cards on the table (Laurelthirst) and Jackpot was an answer to something. Seemed kinda funny in a positive way. I still like it 19 years on, and it's benign enough to never get in the way or be the butt of jokes. I would highly caution against jokey names, but that's my take on it.
Larry Crane, Editor/Founder Tape Op Magazine
please visit www.tapeop.com for contact information
(do not send private messages via this board!)
www.larry-crane.com

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:27 pm

I think a name that associates with music, recording or creation is a good thing. Also if its easy for a designer to come up with a unique logo is a good thing too.

When I opened I had no means of digital tracking. I was really focused on retaining the analog vibe as more things were digital. I chose Oxide Lounge Recording. I still like it even though I use digital recording more often than not. A lot of people ask about it and I explain, and they thing its a cool name.

I had a mastering room in my old house. My last name is SanFilippo so I called it San Castle Mastering. Every man's home is his castle, right.

I dislike studio's named after the owner, or using their initials or something. It seems Ok in mastering though...

Sammigz
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Sammigz » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:13 am

TapeOpLarry wrote:I think your studio name is very important. Mine was "Laundry Rules Recording" at my old home because some previous tenants had written their wasting rules on the wall. It was a funny name, but Laundry Room existed in Seattle and that was too similar, plus people would say it with emphasis on "rules", as if laundry was really cool. That was dumb. When Elliott Smith and I opened Jackpot! we picked a name after signing the lease and over breakfast. There were Trivial Pursuit cards on the table (Laurelthirst) and Jackpot was an answer to something. Seemed kinda funny in a positive way. I still like it 19 years on, and it's benign enough to never get in the way or be the butt of jokes. I would highly caution against jokey names, but that's my take on it.
That's great! Thanks for the input Larry. And thank you too Drumsound!

After much debate, I have settled on 'Montage Audio'. I am not tooo crazy about it, and may not keep it all that long. But I needed something. And I like the idea of montage, meaning different genres of music being done at the studio. I like all kinds of music, and don't want to tie myself down to 'we are a punk studio', or a 'metal studio', or 'country studio'. I just want to be a studio - that records and mixes awesome music!

Thanks for all the input guys.
HP s5-1110, Windows 7, Intel core i5-2500k CPU@303GHz, 8GB, 64 bit OS-
StudioOne Pro 2.6, Tascam FW1884 & FE8, Focusrite MKII Dynamic, Presonus Monitor Station, Oxygen49-
M-Audio BX5a's, Equator D8's, Audio-Technica ATH-M50's-

oneflightup
pluggin' in mics

Post by oneflightup » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:59 am

Hey Sam,

Yeah it's a tough one. You want something memorable, but not stupid (there was a studio in Sydney called "Big Jesus Burger").

I agree - numbers are boring... "Studio 123"

I went with the name "One Flight Up" for my studio as I'm on the 1st floor of my building, and I remember those vintage signs for shops above street level... "Studio... One Flight Up".

I use a bird in my logo, a bit of a play on words.

Anyway, branding is everything. Come up with a memorable name and a memorable image.... then stick with it.

Best of luck!
Nick