My first Tascam 388 project

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

mjt335
alignin' 24-trk

My first Tascam 388 project

Post by mjt335 » Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:48 am

Hey y'all,
Just thought I'd share... I just completed my first project on my Tascam 388. It's a funky dub reggae thing. I sampled the drums from a friend and imported them then overdubbed everything else directly to tape. It's all pretty simple, but it's been a great learning process on this deck that I've only had for a few months.

I'm saving my pennies for a real tape delay and spring reverb unit eventually, but for now the delay is a Line 6 Echo Park (and then in to EHX Small Stone phaser) and the reverb is Boss FRV-1.

https://youtu.be/Kozm-qtepwo

floid
buyin' a studio

Post by floid » Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:00 am

8)
Village Idiot.

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:30 am

sounds great man. did you record/mix with DBX on or off?

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:44 pm

Great mix performance.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

mjt335
alignin' 24-trk

Post by mjt335 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:08 am

markjazzbassist: DBX off. I haven't found an instance where I like to use the DBX yet. It gets rid of the high-end hiss, but to my ear it makes it sound like there's a blanket over everything. I suppose I would probably use it almost like an effect if I had a tune that called for it.

Thanks, Snarl! The fun thing about performing a dub mix like this is the a level of improvisation involved. I recorded about 4 or 5 passes at this mix before I stopped myself. This was my favorite, and while it's not perfect, it feels good over all.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:21 am

Man, you've got a great feel for this style-- playing and dubbing both very well done! It looks like you've done your listening homework, as far as reggae is concerned. Nice job.

GJ
Gregg Juke
Nocturnal Productions Music Group
Drum! Magazine Contributor
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "

mjt335
alignin' 24-trk

Post by mjt335 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:55 am

Thanks, Gregg! Yeah, I've been a reggae/dub junkie for a long time. It's fun to finally be creating it in the analog realm instead of a DAW. Looking forward to the point when I've got real tape echo and spring 'verb, but that's a ways off...

I'm hoping to work on some funk/soul stuff in the coming weeks, and hopefully some more reggae/dub tracks with horns and percussion. Fun stuff!

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:44 pm

I have a couple of spring reverbs-- both purchased here at the TOMB, if I remember correctly. One is a rackmount unit, but the other is an old Pioneer stereo system reverb. I would look for one of those, as they are often not sold as "production/pro audio" gear. People used to have their own reverbs to enhance their listening space, and you can find some of these out there that are relatively inexpensive. Here (the one at the top is only @ $120 right now): https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=Pi ... b&tbm=shop ...

GJ
Gregg Juke
Nocturnal Productions Music Group
Drum! Magazine Contributor
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:12 pm

Love my 388s...would be a sad day if I sold them.

I went back to some jams I did 5 years ago to 388...a real great Gretsch kit recorded w 4 mics in a basement. I lifted the drums to place with another song as part of a film I scored, very cool sounding, IMHO...some of my fav drum sounds came from that.

Trick Fall
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Trick Fall » Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:11 am

Sounds awesome and the mix performance is great.

Trick Fall
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Trick Fall » Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:31 pm

I just wanted to add that I had to go back and listen to this again.

mjt335
alignin' 24-trk

Post by mjt335 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:41 am

Trick Fall wrote:I just wanted to add that I had to go back and listen to this again.
Thanks, Trick! Glad you dig it. I'm trying to find more time to get some more tracks done soon. It's such a fun machine to work with!

@kslight: Would love to hear that recording of the Gretsch kit that you did!