Suggest A Mic Capsule For My Royer-Tube-Modded MXL?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

germaniac
takin' a dinner break

Suggest A Mic Capsule For My Royer-Tube-Modded MXL?

Post by germaniac » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:25 pm

Hey Guys,

Built the Royer tube circuit (TapeOp #25) into my MXL 2001 a while back. Sounds nice but still has more sibilance than I'd like.

I'm looking at MicrophoneParts.com, and would like to try either the RK-47 capsule or the RK12 capsule:

http://microphone-parts.com/collections ... ne-capsule

http://microphone-parts.com/collections ... ne-capsule

I'm sure either capsule will be a vast improvement. My initial question is whether anyone has experiences or preferences regarding the two. A secondary concern is whether they'll both work correctly (voltage-wise) with the tube circuit, though I'm assuming there wouldn't be a problem.

Any help/suggestions much appreciated.

mrc
re-cappin' neve

Post by mrc » Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:41 am

I have both in mics. I like both, the rk12's are a bit brighter than the 47's. I'm using the 12's in a pair of 460 mods. There shouldn't be any voltage problem. If you did the mod, just check the voltage. I have the 47's in fet mics, they are nice, but my main mic is a Lt-381. It's great.

germaniac
takin' a dinner break

Post by germaniac » Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:19 pm

mrc wrote:I have both in mics. I like both, the rk12's are a bit brighter than the 47's. I'm using the 12's in a pair of 460 mods. There shouldn't be any voltage problem. If you did the mod, just check the voltage. I have the 47's in fet mics, they are nice, but my main mic is a Lt-381. It's great.
Thanks for the perspective. Interesting you find the RK12 brighter, since the frequency response plot looks quite a bit flatter on top than the RK47.

At this point, I'm leaning toward the RK47. My back-up plan is that if it doesn't sound how I want, I'll migrate that capsule to a stock MXL2006 I've got, and then give the RK12 a try in the tube mic.

Thanks again. . . .

mrc
re-cappin' neve

Post by mrc » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:59 pm

That could be the 251 circuit I used or the parts I chose. I didn't want to risk resoldering, and they are a pita to mount in the saddles. I have a Peluso 12 in a third. Same parts. They weren't in existence then.

Recording Engineer
steve albini likes it

Post by Recording Engineer » Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:24 am

If I recall correctly, that Royer circuit is suppose to be a more flat-type... Both the MXL2001 and MXL2006 are K67-style of capsules; which is designed with a major HF presence-peak, which traditionally was used with a circuit that "corrected" that peak. So if you're looking to smooth it out what you already have, I'd recommend a K47-style. A very good CK12-style can be smooth, but very airy. Most Chinese ones are typically just bright and harsh though.

Are you looking only at microphone-parts capsules and that price range, or are you open to more options? I've found other capsules much much better; but it'll cost; still far more reasonable than you're typical Neumann capsule prices.

mrc
re-cappin' neve

Post by mrc » Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:45 pm

+1
I'll agree with his description, the Peluso sounds better to me, and 'airy' is a better way to say it, I'm not much of a music word dancer. It probably wasn't clear, only the circuit parts were the same. The Peluso is 'smoother'. I used cinemag transformers with the rk12's and a Peluso transformer with the Peluso, so there you go. There are so many variables in the total chain, it's a real puzzle. A work in progress for me.