R.I.P. Allen Toussaint

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

supafuzz
carpal tunnel

R.I.P. Allen Toussaint

Post by supafuzz » Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:22 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yV-bFdf6yu8
New Orleans composer, producer and performer, died of a heart attack on Tuesday (Nov. 10) while on tour in Europe. He was 77.

The legendary New Orleans musician had performed a concert at Madrid's Lara Theater on Monday night, according to the Associated Press.

Madrid emergency services spokesman Javier Ayuso said rescue workers were called to Mr. Toussaint's hotel early Tuesday morning and managed to revive him after he suffered a heart attack. But Ayuso said Mr. Toussaint stopped breathing during the ambulance ride to a hospital and efforts to revive him again were unsuccessful.

Mr. Toussaint, an elegant, talented, versatile force, turned out an avalanche of songs that have become a sturdy part of the canon of New Orleans music.

He was set to play a New Orleans Artists Against Hunger and Homelessness benefit concert Dec. 8, with Paul Simon, at Le Petit Theatre. Toussaint co-founded NOAAHH in 1985.

He was on a tour in Spain, with plans to play in Belgium, London and Madrid, according to his Facebook page.

In addition to playing piano, he composed scores of songs, including "Ruler of My Heart," "A Certain Girl," "Fortune Teller" and "Lipstick Traces (on a Cigarette)." The New Orleans-born trumpeter Al Hirt had a hit with Mr. Toussaint's instrumental composition "Java."

In the 1970s, he embarked on a solo career, which reached a high point with the release of his "Southern Nights" album; the title song became a hit not only for him but also for Glen Campbell.

Mr. Toussaint performed frequently at the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival, both at the Fair Grounds and, in the early days, aboard the Steamer President for nighttime festival concerts.

In collaboration with Marshall Sehorn, Mr. Toussaint created Sea-Saint recording studio where Paul and Linda McCartney, who recorded their album "Venus and Mars" there with their band, Wings, in 1975.

Mr. Toussaint recently collaborated with Elvis Costello on the album "The River in Reverse." The tracks recorded in New Orleans were done in the first major studio session after Hurricane Katrina. He made a guest appearance at Costello's March 12 concert at the Civic. At the concert, Toussaint said of Costello "There was no one on the planet who cared more about New Orleans than this man."

Mr. Toussaint is a member of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, the Blues Hall of Fame and the Louisiana Music Hall of Fame, and he received the National Medal of Arts from President Barack Obama.

Throughout his career, Mr. Toussaint has maintained a reputation for sartorial panache with a wardrobe of snazzy outfits, which he wears even in the heat of outdoor festivals. At last year's Jazz and Heritage Festival, Brett Anderson wrote, "His stage outfit blended plaid, paisley and polka dots like nobody's business."

The whimsy carried over to the vanity plates for his golden Rolls-Royces: One read "Piano," another, "Tunes."

Note: This story has been corrected to note that Mr. Toussaint died early Tuesday morning.
Super 70 Studio.. Never tell a perfectionist that the mix is perfect!

http://www.super70studio.com
http://www.facebook.com/Super70Studio

now in glorious HD3

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:17 am

RIP great songwriter and producer.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:45 am

This saddens me greatly. Mr Toussaint touched so much great music, and was such a positive influence on humanity.

I met him briefly at TapeOpCon in New Orleans and he was so very kind and truly sweet. I remember being stricken by how soft the hands of a piano player were. Just hearing his speaking voice was soothing.

This weekend I heard about his new record that isn't even mixed. I can't wait to hear that!

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:35 am

Oolay Poopoo che, somethingerother...

RIP

GJ
Gregg Juke
Nocturnal Productions Music Group
Drum! Magazine Contributor
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:35 pm

Such a bummer. He was a giant and one of my few remaining musical heros.

floid
buyin' a studio

Post by floid » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:09 am

David Dye replayed a Toussaint special from 2006. Mostly other bands' versions, but it included an interview and a live in studio version of Tipitina.
Village Idiot.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:47 pm

This is a great interview (even though I often find costello to be an insufferable twat). In th course of a half hour Toussaint works his way through every New Orleans piano style of the 20th century.

http://www.npr.org/2012/08/31/112183772 ... piano-jazz