Need new (old) mac! Help!

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

audiosweet
gettin' sounds

Need new (old) mac! Help!

Post by audiosweet » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:58 am

So my early 2007 MacBook Pro just shit the bed. I used pt9 with an 002r and command 8 with no problems for years... Even with the messily 3 gigs and 2.3 core duo. So... A few questions.

In my research I need to buy a late 2011 mbp pre retina for it to still talk to my even more aging interfaces. Would my best bet be... Buy a quad core i7 with snow leopard built in and just reinstall and pretty much be where I was with a better machine? Or could I install my ssd from my defunked 07 mbp into the newer machine?

Also! If I were to do the combo upgrade to pt 11-12 I would need Mountain Lion 10.8.5 as the absolute latest os that would still be happy with my 002r and command 8. So basically am I safer going for the snow leopard machine... Getting it to where I had it with my old machine... And then upgrade the os and pt? Sorry for the jumbles I've never had to replace my machine before. Any help is appreciated.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:46 am

I'd probably suggest a fresh install on the 'new' computer.

I believe the 2011 Mbp retina would have at least Lion pre installed, like pre-retina did, and would most likely not work with snow leopard, even if you forced it.

I don't know much about the 002's support cycle, but if you can make it work with mountain lion, pt12 works great for me under mountain lion. Much better than pt9, they've added so many improvements...once you get past the hassle of upgrading plugins. You'll probably want to max out the ram on your new pooter, because under pt12 you can allocate it as a disk cache.

audiosweet
gettin' sounds

Post by audiosweet » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:21 am

I believe the retina MacBook Pros have soldered ram? I could be wrong. I'd like to do a swap of the harddrive and hopefully just plug in a go... In a perfect world Heh. And then upgrade from there. I'm just not sure which machine... Early 2011...late 2011...

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:44 am

I don't think the ram is soldered on those models, but I could be wrong. It's not on mine, but mine is the gen right before.

Like I said, even if you wanted to just plug and go, a 2011 MacBook is probably not going to run Snow Leopard...Apple will have not written the support for a 2011 Mbp into a 2009 operating system. It's not as simple as just putting an old hard drive with snow leopard preinstalled. It will not recognize the 2011 as a supported or genuine Apple spec. If you have to run Snow Leopard you need a machine that shipped with it preinstalled, likely 2010 or before.

audiosweet
gettin' sounds

Post by audiosweet » Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:23 pm

True... Why go for old when I had old. Not as old seems like the best option... I just need to be sure if I update on the newer 2011/12 my command 8 and 002r will talk to either pt11/12. Can anyone confirm? I've seen people on the duc confirm... I'm just dotting all my I's before I fire in.

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:07 pm

I don't really know squat about PT or macs any more, but I'd like to ask you to think about upgrading everything and not trying to stay compatible with outdated gear.

I'm a super late adopter. I was running Win2k on my music rig up until a couple years ago, but when things start dying it can get really complicated, expensive and pointless to stay in the past vs. upgrading to the modern whizbangs. It's just a thought. I mean, won't you kick yourself if the 002r dies a week after you get the "new" old computer set up for it?
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

audiosweet
gettin' sounds

Post by audiosweet » Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:25 pm

Really it just comes down to money. This is really just a hobby and the 002 suites my needs perfectly. So modern whizbangs don't really appeal...sure it would be nice...but for me to be able to get through my own endeavors i'm willing to pony around a grand...not 3-6. hell if the 002 dies?...maybe ill find a BLA modded on ebay for 400-600 bucks. So to push this setup for another 5+ years would be great...i'm not really into super high gloss recordings.

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:57 pm

You might try a similar vintage Mac and just shoving your old hard drive in it.

Or most macs that would house your drive should work, so long as your hard drive isn't the problem.