One Song at a Time

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

SpencerMartin
gimme a little kick & snare

One Song at a Time

Post by SpencerMartin » Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:49 pm

It's been a long while, but the current goal for my personal music is to focus on recording and releasing one song at a time. I just finished the 3rd track of the series - here it is for your listening pleasure!

One Song at a Time, Track 3

Jarvis
pushin' record

Post by Jarvis » Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:45 am

Holy shit that's some serious earphone candy. Nice work.
Ivan the Threadstopper

SpencerMartin

Post by SpencerMartin » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:44 am

Jarvis wrote:Holy shit that's some serious earphone candy. Nice work.
Thanks man, I appreciate it! More soon... I just need to be better about not procrastinating.

variableD
ass engineer

Post by variableD » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:46 am

The production quality on this is amazing. The harmonies are really nice. The transition at about 30 seconds in is abrupt and not natural sounding to me... at first I thought it had jumped to the next song. Overall it's really well done. A high level of craftsmanship.

SpencerMartin

Post by SpencerMartin » Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:16 pm

Thank you so much! Yeah, that first transition is definitely super abrupt. I'm a sucker for those small-sounding intros that trick you into turning your volume up.

My approach for harmonies is to write out the ideas first with a basic VST instrument so that I can experiment with the parts' individual movements while still hearing them all at the same time in context. After testing out a few different revisions I'll commit to one thing and move on to actually singing/recording the parts.