Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

adamca17
audio school

pulsar mixing board, channel strips

Post by adamca17 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:37 am

heres a link to the flickr account with the photos
http://www.flickr.com/photos/104541381@ ... 6290502385
does anybody know anything about these things? or see anything in here that would be of any interest to ppl? i got this a couple of years ago and havent done anything with it. i'm planning on selling the penny and giles faders and maybe the valley people TA-101's...
it would be a really nice mixer but too much work to configure a snake for the weird outputs on the back. oh yeah and its huge.
thanks!

winky dinglehoffer
buyin' a studio

Post by winky dinglehoffer » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:46 am

That's a nice looking board--no indication of a manufacturer or anything beyond pulsar? What job are the VCAs doing?

adamca17
audio school

Post by adamca17 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:10 am

They're compressors as far as I know. No info anywhere inside or out about the manufacturer. Just says PULSAR 8001A on the channel strips. Shouldn't there be a transistor for each channel somewhere on the board or the strips? We looked everywhere but couldn't locate them. Thought they would be worth salvaging..

Jim Williams
tinnitus

Post by Jim Williams » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:41 am

Sell it complete or restore it. It has no value as parts. The VCA's are most likely for automation/fader control. The faders are probably linear taper, for DC control.

It has nice pcb's, Allen-Bradley mod pots for the EQ and it has a B+B/Aphex look about it. The opamps are all probably LF353 or 351's. Burrbrown OPA1641/2's would make it a dandy mixer.
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:24 am

I agree that it might be more interesting to someone as a complete board. I found this thread (in case you had not seen it already):

http://www.vsplanet.com/ubbthreads/ubbt ... ber=779597

read down in the thread a bit where a guy talks about the Pulsar Labs Series 80... Seems like there was probably not too many of these made...

Mike
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Post by rhythm ranch » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:52 pm

adamca17
audio school

Post by adamca17 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:58 am

Thanks guys. Ill probably post in the for sale section soon. See if anybody's interested in it. It was recapped before I got it so its in really good shape the only drawback is the molex connectors on the back that make configuring a snake a very big time consumer and I never had the time to do it so..

mixbus
audio school

Pulsar On Track console.

Post by mixbus » Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:19 pm

H! I owned this console for about 6 years! I can answer some of your questions.

I hope you got the schematics, manual, notes, and both power supplies with it.

It originated from Michigan at Solid Sound Studios I think. I got it used in Illinois and paid $10K for it back in 1990. Here is what it looked like then.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pu0vs2ama9f30 ... 2.tif?dl=0

The console was built by Walker Audio. Dan Minnich was one of the guys behind it. He was able to supply me with schematics and some parts. He may still be around in either Oregon or California.

The Valley VCA's are for the 8 buss grouping feature, I replaced all the LF353 & NE5532 IC's with Analog Devices chips OP275GP and AD712JN. They are socketed & easy to change.

The master section originally had two faders for left & right, but I had it changed to one stereo fader since the two are spaced so far apart.

Jim Williams modded the master section in 1992 I think. I got a Neotek power supply modded to replace the underpowered original one.

I must have put $10-15K into upgrades and repairs over the years.

If you do decide to get it up & running - it would smoke any small format console out there. When working, it is a transparent desk that sounds close to a Neotek or Otari/Sound Workshop.

From what I remember, finding any of the mic amps (if blown) might be hard as they are a can style. One was modded by the tech I had at the time with a wire wrap socket and 8 pin DIP socket. Same chip - different package. Sounded exactly the same.

Great feeling REAL P&G faders!

TT parch bay with Molex .093 connectors for all the mic press & tie lines.

The Neotek supply really gave the console some headroom. The stock supply made the console dark sounding and sluggish.

At some point the people that bought it from me tore off the contact paper that had the legends printed on it.

I may still have a copy of the basic owners manual and some notes if you want a copy.

Let me know if I can help further.

--------
Tom Jancauskas
Imedia
imediarecording.com

adamca17 wrote:Thanks guys. Ill probably post in the for sale section soon. See if anybody's interested in it. It was recapped before I got it so its in really good shape the only drawback is the molex connectors on the back that make configuring a snake a very big time consumer and I never had the time to do it so..
Last edited by mixbus on Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mixbus
audio school

Pulsar Molex pinout

Post by mixbus » Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:31 pm

BTW the Molex pins are similar to EDAC/ELCOS. They are .093 male pins you can crimp on bare wire and put into the shells that mate with the board. 3 per connection + - G.

You can use an EDAC/ELCO crimper tool. Not very difficult. I got all the parts from Digi-Key or Mouser I think.

I sold the next owner all the cabling that had everything pinned out for the mic lines and PB.

I know this is an old thread, but I hope it gives anyone the info if they need it. I had the hardest time finding out ANYTHING! IT took me 2 years just to find out about Dan Minnich!

YMMV
--------
Tom Jancauskas
Imedia
imediarecording.com

adamca17
audio school

Post by adamca17 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:36 pm

Tom! holy shit! this info is awesome! at one point i ordered all the molex connectors, pins, and the tool and started away at making the snakes but life happened. then ended up losing all the connectors dont know what happened to them.
i dont have the schematics or the manual. i will email you soon. i have both power supplies. the neotek is the only one that even works at this point. i dont know how you found this thread but i swear just today i was thinking about pulling this thing out of storage and trying to finally sell it to someone who can really put it to good use. then i got an email saying you replied to this thread! its really sad this board hasnt been used in a decade..

mixbus
audio school

Post by mixbus » Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:53 pm

I'll have to check to see what I have. There is chance I still have copies of this stuff.

If you can find Dan, he probably would have a set of schematics.

I'm happy to answer any questions or help however I can.

I found the thread while looking up info on a few analog consoles.

I recorded a LOT of stuff through that desk.

the old power supply always ran hot and was under built. Usually the 15v regulators were the first to go.

Meter bulbs are pretty standard.

Just let me know if I can help further.

----
Tom Jancauskas
Imedia
630-443-6858

mixbus
audio school

Pulsar console

Post by mixbus » Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:42 pm

You're in luck. I found my extra copy of the manual and schematics!

The one for the power supply isn't there but the rest are.

I can scan the manual, but I'd have to send the schematics. They're too big to scan.

Email me if you want this stuff.

Thanks,

----
Tom Jancauskas
Imedia
Imediarecording.com
630-443-6858

mixbus
audio school

Re: pulsar mixing board, channel strips

Post by mixbus » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:18 am

Here is the manual.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pxsiicum7tnes ... l.pdf?dl=0

-----
Tom Jancauskas
Imedia
Imediarecording.com
630-443-6858 :D

mixbus
audio school

Re: pulsar mixing board, channel strips

Post by mixbus » Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:49 pm

Download of the Pulsar manual and schematics.

Includes the input channel, left & right output channels, and power supply.

http://tinyurl.com/jfxrl3g

-----
Tom Jancauskas
Imedia
Imediarecording.com
630-443-6858