Mixing old with new. Just bought MacBook Pro

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Quayhog
audio school

Mixing old with new. Just bought MacBook Pro

Post by Quayhog » Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:34 am

I have collection of lovingly restored analog gear. All tube mixers, LA-2A and Pultec reproductions. I also have a Mackie ProFx16 mixer I use for live work. I've never recorded to anything but a reel to reel.

I'd like to use the Mackie's USB out to record to the MacBookPro. My question is can I use the Mackie as a summing mixer and plug an analog mixer(Altec1567a, Grommes G5m) 600 ohm outputs into a channel on the Mackie board with out damaging the Mackie's fragile ( compared to the tube stuff) circuitry?

I'm planning to record my band early in the new year.

analogika
gettin' sounds

Post by analogika » Fri Dec 25, 2015 6:18 am

This may be the first time I've ever read "Mackie" and "fragile" in a single sentence.

It may sound weird or distorted, but it won't break the Mackie.

Entire careers were sonically launched on completely overdriving Mackie inputs in the early/mid-nineties. Bj?rk's "Homogenic" album comes to mind (not a career-launcher, though) - that was in liberal combination with Sherman Filterbank processing.

Quayhog
audio school

Post by Quayhog » Fri Dec 25, 2015 7:28 am

I was comparing the "fragile" Mackie to my old tube analog mixers, full of 1/2 watt and 1 watt resistors, 4722 and TL-1a transformers and all sockets filled with Telefunkens. Each one of my tube mixers weighs nearly as much as my Mackie.