Bouncing digital mix to 388

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

mjt335
alignin' 24-trk

Bouncing digital mix to 388

Post by mjt335 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:03 pm

I've got a digital recording that I want send over to my 388 and back to A/B the difference between the digital and tape. I realize the 1/4" tape in a 388 is not the kind of thing people are referring to when they talk about that real "tape" saturation sound, but it's what I've got to work with and I thought this would be a fun experiment for me.

So, I'm wondering, because it's only a stereo WAV, would it make any sonic difference if I recorded to just tracks 1-2 (L & R, respectively) or if I assigned tracks 1-4 to all record the left input and tracks 5-8 to record the right input? Would there be any benefit to recording the same input across multiple tracks like that? Would it be essentially like creating a wider track width?

I will probably try it both ways so I can see for myself, but I just thought I would run it by all my fellow TOMB folks to see if you all had any insight or similar ideas/experiences.

Cheers,
Mike

floid
buyin' a studio

Post by floid » Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:53 pm

Recording the same source to multiple tracks creates the potential for phase issues, if azimuth of record and play heads is not identical.
The other thing to bear in mind, is that sending a .wav to the 388 is just creating a 2nd gen copy, which becomes 3rd gen when you return it to digiland. You might find some interesting distortion/filtering effects, but don't expect "more/bigger/analog-ier".
Village Idiot.

floid
buyin' a studio

Post by floid » Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:56 pm

But do it w/o dbx.
Village Idiot.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:07 pm

it's a good idea in theory, but in practice it doesn't work, because of the phase discrepancies floid mentioned. i've tried it, trust me.

i don't think a round trip to the 388 and back is going to make it sound better in any way, but don't let me discourage you, definitely give it a try.

mjt335
alignin' 24-trk

Post by mjt335 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:49 am

Cool. Thanks for the replies, fellas. That's pretty much what I expected to hear. I'll probably try it out anyway when I have some free time just to A/B the results once it's back in the box. If I come up with any interesting results I will let you know!