Question for UAD users

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

blungo2
re-cappin' neve

Question for UAD users

Post by blungo2 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:43 am

Hello,

I have a quad firewire satelite and a few uad plugins that i've grown to love, the various la2a's, the plate reverb, the tape emulations.

Since going to a thunderboldt computer a few years ago, i've had a ton of problems with uad stuff. I'm running through a firewire>thunderboldt adapter. Initially my problem was that the satelite would disconnect at random intervals, disabling all the uad plugins. They wouldn't restart when the satelite did. This caused me to mostly quit using the satelite/uad plugins.

Recently i downloaded the newest uad software update and it fixed the disconnect problem, but now the uad plugs exact a huge toll on my cpu usage. Even one instance of (the newer) la2a will raise my cpu usage by 20% or more. This makes them unworkable for me.

Admittedly, my computer is not the fastest ( a mid 2012, 2GHz i7) but it used to be able to run a whole small mix full of uad plugs with a minimal cpu hit.

I've since found other plugins that i like a lot, so i'm thinking of getting rid of the whole uad setup.

Any advice?
I haven't contacted uad because i'm pretty sure they'll tell me to buy a thunderboldt satelite, which i might do if i knew it could run enough plugs without killing my cpu power.

Is anyone running a thunderboldt satelite on a limited power computer and having good results? Or should i just throw in the towel, as there are so many great native plugins around now?

Thanks!

mrc
re-cappin' neve

Post by mrc » Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:16 am

Hi, I'm running a twin duo and twin pcie in a Magma box on a MacBook Air i5 4gb and haven't noticed the problem yet. It's all thunderbolt. Does the load increase as you add plugs? I use VSL pro 5 to off load vsti's to my last studio PC.

blungo2
re-cappin' neve

Post by blungo2 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:38 am

Thanks, yes. It increases with each uad plug i add.

mrc
re-cappin' neve

Post by mrc » Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:57 pm

You might look on the UAD forum, and submit a support ticket.

blungo2
re-cappin' neve

Post by blungo2 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:13 pm

mrc wrote:You might look on the UAD forum, and submit a support ticket.
Good idea, i'll give it a shot. Thanks.

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:45 pm

One thing to do when you are mixing is check the Console App. I have a saved setup "Empty Console" with no plugs and no phantom power on it. I always make sure I'm on the Empty Console when I'm mixing.

blungo2
re-cappin' neve

Post by blungo2 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:30 pm

Thanks! I'll check it out. I don't know anything about the console app. I just have that little pop up window that shows my uad usage.

blungo2
re-cappin' neve

Post by blungo2 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:21 pm

Weird. I just loaded a couple plugins that have been real hogs lately and they only raised my cpu usage a few percent. I don't know what's going on.