Toslink to stereo d/a

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

mrc
re-cappin' neve

Toslink to stereo d/a

Post by mrc » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:01 pm

I've searched the net for a stand alone d/a converter for my brother's man cave cable system and have no idea what to recommend for him. He has the small Mackie mixer, stereo yamaha hs8 pair and hs8s sub. He's loved my studio systems over the years, but didn't want to go over the mass drop prices I've showed him. What I've found is less than $10 to top of the line mastering units. It seems to go from $10 to about $100 and then jumps to $300 up. Balanced analog would be good, but from what I've seen would be too much. It's not a studio, just an add on garage with party on area. I'll probably make up a short Rca to tip/sleeve cable for him. The $100 dollar or so range is probably his high end, and $50 even better. Any suggestions or recommendations would be much appreciated!

mrc
re-cappin' neve

Post by mrc » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:51 am

The best price unit I could find was the Audioengine D1 DAC, 24bit, up to 192 KHz conversion. The specs are stellar, though it does require USB power, it doesn't require a computer for Toslink. It's Rca or headphones out and Toslink or USB in, and can be used to bypass the computer audio chipset. The price is $169.00 currently.
The engineer at ramelectronics.net was more than helpful.
The wiring of the space is yet to be completed, so a power outlet with USB power will be used.