Cables: Mogami/Neutrix?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

mrb
ass engineer

Cables: Mogami/Neutrix?

Post by mrb » Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:15 am

I am in the process of changing the audio cable mess in my studio.

I've got a pro-forma and most of the budget goes to cable and connectors, which are Mogami and Neutrix. For the guys in the shop that's the way to go.
Because of the neutrix/mogami this would be a very serious investment for me, as I'm using a lot of meters of multicore looms.

So is it really worths th investment? Are there cheaper alternatives?
Max RB

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:32 pm

I like amphenol brand connectors and at least for trs they are as good as other quality brands but a lot cheaper. Haven't used their xlr...I usually buy whichever neutrik variant of xlr is on sale. Some sites have good quantity discounts if you call. I used bulk flexygy brand flat multichannel cable with amphenol trs connectors for several snakes and was happy. For single channel cords I've used flexygy and even EWI quad and thought it was a good value. At the same time, I also buy pre made cords when I have no time, from monoprice.com..and they are very cheap and carry a lifetime warranty. No complaints about the quality of those either.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:25 am

The Amphenol connectors are a really great, kind of well-kept secret. I did a ton of TRS in the new Old House Studio location with Amphenol right angle TRS connectors after giving them a shot and they've been a great solution. I ordered some XLR connectors, but wound up getting these weird ones that were a pain to deal with. They seem to have a lot of options in the XLR department and I'm not sure if what I got is normal for them or if I just inadvertently ordered the wrong thing, but since then, I've been sticking with Neutriks for XLRs. They're super easy to deal with. As far as cable goes, all the wiring in my place (and there's A LOT of it) is Mogami or Monster, except for individual cue mix snakes and a handful of Belden mic cables that we've had around for years. But 99% of the recorded audio travels through an all-Mogami signal path. It's great-sounding cable and easy to deal with from a soldering standpoint. A couple of my Mogami mic cables have seen near-daily use for almost 20 years now.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC