RegisterRegister
FAQ  -  SEARCH  -  MEMBERS  -  FAVORITES  -  PROFILE
Mix with me
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Tape Op Message Board Forum Index -> Listen to My Stuff
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vvv
zen recordist

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Mix with me Reply with quote

FWIW, and re the drums, I realized I had posted the following at my blog on 1-5-16, what I had forgotten, mebbe due to martoonies in the meantime, or the nice time:

FWIW, the drums started as Guitar Hero stems for Radiohead’s “My Iron Lung”. I heavily edited same, first using gates to reduce the bleed as well as the cymbals. Then I moved the bits around; it’s surprising how the tempo sped up at the end, hence the disconcerting initial chorus, what I had some trouble fitting in (see above, where I noted that I hadda extra beat where I was tying to smooth the transition).
vvv
zen recordist

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Mix with me Reply with quote

So I was inspired by Nick's mix and re-did mine, no editing, just adjusting the EQ and reverb, here.
JWL
deaf.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:31 am    Post subject: Re: Mix with me Reply with quote

So here's my really rough mix. As an experiment I set a timer for one hour, and this is what I could do in that time frame (not including rendering, just an hour of mix time).

There's no automation or anything. If I were to spend more time on this mix I'd probably make things a bit less tubby, and spend more time with effects, tweaking spaces & the background vocals. And I usually use a lot of automation, so I'd probably reduce some of the compression once I knew there'd be more volume automation.

Also didn't do any editing, just mixing.

http://www.craftedrecordings.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/VVV-Center-of-Attn-JWL-mix.mp3
vvv
zen recordist

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Mix with me Reply with quote

Ver' Cool !

Sounds very cool, heavily compressed inna good way, but that really brings out the playing - there's more cool bass lines than I recalled. Laughing

Yeah, the bass is tubby, but I especially like how you smooved the vox.
vvv
zen recordist

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Mix with me Reply with quote

I notice looking at JWL's and Nick's mixes that they look a lot more compressed.

Top down is:
Sevilla
JWL
WRC
mine
JWL
deaf.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Mix with me Reply with quote

Yeah mine is definitely more compressed than I usually like. Often this is the case for me with roughs (like this one is); I will usually back off some on compression as I do more automation to get a more natural sound as I transition from a static to a dynamic mix....
vvv
zen recordist

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Mix with me Reply with quote

Well, it sounds better'n mine! Cool
JWL
deaf.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Mix with me Reply with quote

Also, part of my experiment was to use mostly stock plugins (I have been loving Studio One for a few years now). I think I used a Focusrite Red compressor on the master bus.... maybe other stuff but mostly stock.
Nick Sevilla
speech impediment

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Mix with me Reply with quote

vvv wrote:
I notice looking at JWL's and Nick's mixes that they look a lot more compressed.

Top down is:
Sevilla
JWL
WRC
mine

Yeah. Used two plug ins on the master buss, to make it LOUD.
UAD ATR102 tape, and Waves L2.
Mind you, the L2 only had a function of not allowing clips through to the printed mix, but not for making things louder. It was set to -1.0 dB threshold, and -0.2 output.
It got hit maybe to 3-4 dB, but only ever now and then.
Most of the heavy lifting was done by the ATR tape emulation. I used to mix to a real one, so this plug in is almost like coming home.

This song needed that, IMO.

Especially since, there was not going to be any mastering. LOL.
vvv
zen recordist

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Mix with me Reply with quote

Laughing

Sounds great! Cool
vvv
zen recordist

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Mix with me Reply with quote

FWIW, my master-buss processing rarely includes compression.

Lately, I typically use a reverb, a high-pass filter and a limiter, in that order.

The reverb is global and mixed into but not usually too heavy; the two-buss gets the pass filter what is gradual at 40hz; the limiter boosts from my working -3dB peak level to -.3, taking off mebbe 3-4dB of spikes (typically some snare hits).

I call the last two steps, "psuedo-masturding". Twisted Evil
JWL
deaf.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:30 am    Post subject: Re: Mix with me Reply with quote

grrrr double post

Last edited by JWL on Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:31 am; edited 1 time in total
JWL
deaf.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:30 am    Post subject: Re: Mix with me Reply with quote

I definitely load stuff up on my master bus. Often I use a Focusrite red compressor, some saturation, possibly a touch of gentle EQ, and a limiter (most often the stock Studio One limiter which I love). A big part of my mixing strategy is how I hit the master bus chain at various times & frequencies. I'll get a static mix together (like this one) and then add additional dynamics with automation.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Tape Op Message Board Forum Index -> Listen to My Stuff All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: