My Speaker Just Got Reaper'ed

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

floid
buyin' a studio

My Speaker Just Got Reaper'ed

Post by floid » Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:53 pm

Apparently Reaper's auto monitoring setting mutes a hot mic during playback and then turns it on when play stops. Don't know how I never figured that out before. But my blown tweeter will certainly remind me from now on. :evil:
Village Idiot.

Randyman...
takin' a dinner break

Post by Randyman... » Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:31 pm

Lolz - Sounds like "Tapemachine Style" monitoring? I actually set Nuendo that way on purpose per my preference.

I predict a hardware monitor controller in your future :) (or something like RME's ARC as a hardware-esq solution - would not want to be without it over here!).

:cool:
Randy V.
Audio-Dude / Musician / PC Guru / Crazy Guy

jimjazzdad
takin' a dinner break

Post by jimjazzdad » Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:43 am

Randyman... wrote:Lolz - Sounds like "Tapemachine Style" monitoring? I actually set Nuendo that way on purpose per my preference.

I predict a hardware monitor controller in your future :) (or something like RME's ARC as a hardware-esq solution - would not want to be without it over here!).

:cool:
Yes to a hardware monitor controller! You can reach for the big knob fast in these emergencies. I built one of these and it works fine for my purposes:
http://www.audiotechnology.com.au/wp/in ... ontroller/
Jim Legere
Halifax, NS
Canada

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Re: My Speaker Just Got Reaper'ed

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:06 am

floid wrote:Apparently Reaper's auto monitoring setting mutes a hot mic during playback and then turns it on when play stops. Don't know how I never figured that out before. But my blown tweeter will certainly remind me from now on. :evil:
This is called "Sel/Sync" mode in a real tape machine.

Useful for recording "punch ins", where you only replace a small part of an entire recording.

And yes, not very good for speakers... LOL.

As others had stated before, especially if you are recording and using the punch in a lot, it is best to use a dedicated monitor controller. Or as we ancient ones call it: A console. With enough outputs and knobs to impress even the modern savvy musician, and with enough facilities to keep a small army busy with headphone mixes.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:19 pm

I remember the terrible feedback spikes to the head from having a tape machine in "record" and "playback" at the same time, while forgetting to turn the monitors down!
Sorry, that sucks... Same thing used to happen when using a live mike with a set of "open" or semi-open headphones. But hopefully a lesson learned for good. You need your ears even more than you need that tweeter...

GJ
Gregg Juke
Nocturnal Productions Music Group
Drum! Magazine Contributor
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "