Cue systems, Headphone amps, etc.

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

alexevansohio
gimme a little kick & snare

Cue systems, Headphone amps, etc.

Post by alexevansohio » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:42 pm

Hey TOMB folks,

I'm hoping you guys can help me once again. After not recording for a few years, I'm building my studio back up a bit to start taking on clients again in my own space. I have an Apollo 16, a handful of pres I like, a selection of cool instruments (60s Ludwigs, 70s Fenders, old Roland synths, etc etc), and am trying to put together a good cue system to fit this setup.

I currently have a Presonus HP6, which I like just fine. It can take two mixes, has integrated talkback, and sounds really quite good. However, it's in the rack on my desk with my Apollo (which has no headphone outs) and I'm using it for my headphones during tracking (one room studio - no monitors on when tracking). It's really awkward and inconvenient to run cables from the Presonus to the drums in the opposite corner of the room and all the other players.

I used to have the Furman HRS-6 system with the little individual cue mixers and all that. I liked it, but it was a little complicated, had no option for TB, and I never had a clear idea of what the artists actually had in their headphones. However, I wouldn't be totally against going that route again. Hearbacks and other high end cue systems are a little too pricey for me at this stage.

I'd love to put volume control in the hands of the artists, but I'm happy to construct mixes myself. I have 8 outputs on the Apollo that I could happily use for 4 individual cue mixes (I believe it lets me do that?). My other thought was to use a small mixer to make cue mixes on the Auxs? But that brings in a whole host of other issues. The Oz Audio Q-Mix HM-6, which I guess is discontinued, seemed like a cool option on the mixer side of things, but still would mean running cables all over the room for each person.

What are other people doing? What exists in between the $200 rackmount headphone amps and the $1500 cue mix systems?

paparob
ass engineer

Furman

Post by paparob » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:17 pm

My life changed when I bought the furman HD 6 and a Hear technologies Mixback . No more I can't here myself . The Mixback has a Splitter built in, my Tracking thru preamps is different from what the band hears. So I can solo and such without disturbing the band .Overdubs are sweet I send a stereo mix to 2 inputs on the Mixback and feed that to the stereo mix on the Furmans . .
For a while I had a 16 channel splitter and separate mixer to feed the furman
Changed my life

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:01 pm

i went from a single half rack headphone amp (that i used for 10+) years as my only option to a FURMAN HD6 system in the past 2 years.

95% it's just one mix coming down the pipes to the artist and i tailor it at the board. They have a master volume and request a change if needed.

When i am a few people recording live i will send a few additional things down so the drummer can have more click, bassist can have more bass etc... but it's always just adding like a "MORE ME" to the same mix that they are getting in stereo to begin with, so they don't have to construct things from the ground up.

works totally fine for my needs and was pretty cheap to get set up.
the new rules : there are no rules

alexevansohio

Post by alexevansohio » Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:27 pm

As always seems to be the way with these things, shortly after posting this topic, someone offered me an excellent deal on a well loved HDS-6 with 3 remotes. Cue mixes here I come!

Thanks all! Tape Op and this forum continue to be the absolute best sources of real world knowledge and help for folks working in this industry in any capacity.

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:17 am

It's worth it to really put some time into the gain structure on the Furman rack part of the show. If you can find the sweet spot on what you are sending to that stereo channel that system can sound really great. Good luck.

alexevansohio

Post by alexevansohio » Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:40 am

roscoenyc wrote:It's worth it to really put some time into the gain structure on the Furman rack part of the show. If you can find the sweet spot on what you are sending to that stereo channel that system can sound really great. Good luck.
Hey! My Furman actually just arrived last night, so I'll definitely put some time into dialing in comfortable levels for that unit.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:23 am

alexevansohio wrote:
roscoenyc wrote:It's worth it to really put some time into the gain structure on the Furman rack part of the show. If you can find the sweet spot on what you are sending to that stereo channel that system can sound really great. Good luck.
Hey! My Furman actually just arrived last night, so I'll definitely put some time into dialing in comfortable levels for that unit.
IIRC I may have dialed it back a bit when I used it so with any luck it may already be good...but I guess depends on the levels you push to it.