Mac OS X El Capitan as of Feb 2016

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Mac OS X El Capitan as of Feb 2016

Post by kslight » Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:28 am

So I think I've got everything setup to where my computer would be compatible to upgrade from Mountain Lion (switched sound cards, got mostly current software, etc), just wanted to see if its a 'good' relatively stable update. I've been happy with Mountain Lion but I think its about to be at the end of support by many apps so its probably time to move on. I don't have a way to download Mavericks/Yosemite through the iTunes store so I'd have to go all in.

Running vanilla PT12, Live 9.5, Reason 7, Waves and Soundtoys plugins, Motu 1248 interface on a 2010 Mac Pro.

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:04 pm

Back when I ran macs (my newest mac is a G5, for reference) I never had any luck upgrading the OS past what came with the mac. Felt like planned obsolescence to me. A benefit to Apple for controlling hardware and OS at the same time. But maybe things are different now. Running a 2015 OS on 2010 hardware might not work so good. I'd google it a bunch before jumping on that.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:14 am

Well my Mac came with Snow Leopard, so I've already broke that rule...and if I had stayed back there most if not all the current software and hardware I own is not compatible. I don't have any performance issues just wanted to see that it's a stable upgrade. As far as I can tell, this upgrade would only break an old sound card that I dumped in favor of the Motu, which is fine, and couldn't find a definitive answer on if Reason 7 still works or if I would have to upgrade that as well. Everything else really just works on Mountain Lion still out of luck but is mostly not officially supported, which is already 2-3 years old.

Thanks

RoyMatthews
re-cappin' neve

Post by RoyMatthews » Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:33 am

Snarl 12/8 wrote:Back when I ran macs (my newest mac is a G5, for reference) I never had any luck upgrading the OS past what came with the mac. Felt like planned obsolescence to me. A benefit to Apple for controlling hardware and OS at the same time. But maybe things are different now. Running a 2015 OS on 2010 hardware might not work so good. I'd google it a bunch before jumping on that.
Conversely, I have a 2008 Macbook that can run El Capitan. Though I don't use it because the screen has died. I've used that Macbook nearly 24 hours a day for years. But besides upgrading the HD I've never had an issue with it nor any OS update.

Now, on my current Macbook Pro, there was a problem with Logic 9 after upgrading to El Cap. I think they issued an update that fixed the problem but I'm not sure. It works fine for me know but I'm not certain it was an update or something I did.

I don't know if this page helps at all:
http://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/art ... formation/

Note the date is wrong at the top of the page. It was last updated in January of this year.
"If there's one ironclad rule of pop history, it's this: The monkey types Hamlet only once."

mrc
re-cappin' neve

Post by mrc » Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:30 am

UAD hardware and software is now compatible with the latest update they put out, and I got an email from Native Instruments that their software has been updated. I'm still hesitant to upgrade from Yosemite. The buzz seems to indicate E. C. Is faster, but I haven't done enough research to jump off the fence, yet!
Thanks for the link!