DB25 Wiring Method

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Recording Engineer
steve albini likes it

DB25 Wiring Method

Post by Recording Engineer » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:27 am

About to wire up another studio and have an insane amount of DB25s to do. In the past, I've always lifted Pin 1/Sleeve at the inputs on XLR and TRS line-level, but when I've done DB25s in the past, I've always soldered everything up. What does everyone do with DB25 inputs when wiring then up yourself and the rest of your input connectors have their grounds lifted? To connect or not to connect, that is the question?

By the way, the only things that have DB25s on their inputs are the Avid I/Os and the Duality console.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:31 pm

You should always follow SSL Duality protocols.

Email them or give them a call, they will help you out.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

Dominick Costanzo
pushin' record

Post by Dominick Costanzo » Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:50 am

Lifting shield at inputs compensated for poorly designed grounding schemes in the equipment. I've stopped doing this 15 years a go and have never looked back. Most modern equipment has been designed with proper internal grounding.
Dominick Costanzo

crow
steve albini likes it

Post by crow » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:06 am

You may have tried this/know this already, but for anyone new to DB25 soldering, a fast way to do it is to pre-solder the cups on the connector and re-heating when you put the wire in saves you from needing a third arm to hold the solder. Just make sure you leave the whole thing heated up long enough to make a good connection. But not so long that you melt the plastic. Ah, the delicate balance!