RegisterRegister
Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages
Log inLog in
FAQ  -  SEARCH  -  MEMBERS  -  FAVORITES  -  PROFILE
Made on a 488MKii and pressed to vinyl
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Tape Op Message Board Forum Index -> Listen to My Stuff
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
mikey_grapes
ass engineer


Joined: 12 Aug 2009
Posts: 40
Location: Cleveland, OH

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Made on a 488MKii and pressed to vinyl Reply with quote

kslight wrote:
Sounds great...not something I'd buy but the recordings are good. I just picked up a 688.. What cassettes are you using?


I bought bulk, a case of 100 hi-bias tapes. You can get them in different lengths, these ones are 11 minutes per side, perfect for 4-tracking:

http://www.deltamedia.com/1C022CS.html?leftmenu=blankmedianav
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
kslight
dead but not forgotten


Joined: 13 Oct 2009
Posts: 2170

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Made on a 488MKii and pressed to vinyl Reply with quote

Thank you. Any specific reason to choose the 22 minute variety? I realize you don't want longer than 60... For example, they have 60 minute ones with BASF tape here:

http://www.deltamedia.com/CPX-60.html?leftmenu=blankmedianav

And these ones look like the 60 min variety of the ones you buy:

http://www.deltamedia.com/1C060CS.html?leftmenu=blankmedianav


Is there something wrong with the BASF that makes it undesirable to buy?


Last edited by kslight on Fri May 03, 2013 10:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mikey_grapes
ass engineer


Joined: 12 Aug 2009
Posts: 40
Location: Cleveland, OH

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Made on a 488MKii and pressed to vinyl Reply with quote

kslight wrote:
Thank you. Any specific reason to choose the 22 minute variety? I realize you don't want longer than 60... For example, they have 60 minute ones here:

http://www.deltamedia.com/CPX-60.html?leftmenu=blankmedianav


Mostly convenience (just having one song per tape makes it easier to keep organized) and lessening wear-and-tear on the machine, since you're not rewinding as much.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
kslight
dead but not forgotten


Joined: 13 Oct 2009
Posts: 2170

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Made on a 488MKii and pressed to vinyl Reply with quote

Okay, that makes sense. Lastly...is there any difference between the cassettes loaded with BASF versus the one loaded that you linked to?


Thanks
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mikey_grapes
ass engineer


Joined: 12 Aug 2009
Posts: 40
Location: Cleveland, OH

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Made on a 488MKii and pressed to vinyl Reply with quote

kslight wrote:
Okay, that makes sense. Lastly...is there any difference between the cassettes loaded with BASF versus the one loaded that you linked to?


Thanks


unsure, but here's info about BASF etc:
http://tapetardis.wordpress.com/2012/05/15/the-type-ii-chrome-bias-audio-cassette/

also a tapeop thread recommending maxell xlII's, which I used for years before ordering bulk:
http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopic.php?t=47401&highlight=cassette+tape
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
kslight
dead but not forgotten


Joined: 13 Oct 2009
Posts: 2170

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Made on a 488MKii and pressed to vinyl Reply with quote

Right on...sorry to dethread.... Smile I emailed the company to see if they could shed some light on the difference, as they are substantially cheaper...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mikey_grapes
ass engineer


Joined: 12 Aug 2009
Posts: 40
Location: Cleveland, OH

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Made on a 488MKii and pressed to vinyl Reply with quote

austin wrote:
Man, this sounds cool. You can really feel the vibe of the room.

I have a 488 MKII too. I love that thing!


Austin, just checked out your 488 page, enjoying THE SPEED OF LIGHT EP right now. Cool tunes!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
mikey_grapes
ass engineer


Joined: 12 Aug 2009
Posts: 40
Location: Cleveland, OH

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:04 am    Post subject: New tracks Reply with quote

Wanted to mention that the same group of fellas who played on this record convened once again in 2013 for recording sessions at Cleveland musician/engineer Brian Straw's studio, Ohio Ready Mix. The two tracks from that project, 'DAWN' and 'ONE HUNDRED PERCENT' are up at http://mikeuva.bandcamp.com. Hope you enjoy them! --Mike
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
mikey_grapes
ass engineer


Joined: 12 Aug 2009
Posts: 40
Location: Cleveland, OH

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Made on a 488MKii and pressed to vinyl Reply with quote

Here's a new batch of tunes (an EP) I did on the 488mkii:

https://mikeuva.bandcamp.com/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
markjazzbassist
steve albini likes it


Joined: 25 Apr 2011
Posts: 358
Location: Cleveland, OH

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Made on a 488MKii and pressed to vinyl Reply with quote

nice stuff. love the memphis kiddy park album cover. i'm originally from cleveland and lived there for 26 years, now in new orleans. great stuff.

you east sider or west sider? i grew up in bay village.

music and musicians > gear. this proves it. sounds awesome Smile
_________________
Recorded on a Tascam 388 - http://earthtone.bandcamp.com/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mikey_grapes
ass engineer


Joined: 12 Aug 2009
Posts: 40
Location: Cleveland, OH

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Made on a 488MKii and pressed to vinyl Reply with quote

markjazzbassist wrote:
nice stuff. love the memphis kiddy park album cover. i'm originally from cleveland and lived there for 26 years, now in new orleans. great stuff.

you east sider or west sider? i grew up in bay village.

music and musicians > gear. this proves it. sounds awesome Smile


Hi! Eastsider, I live in North Collinwood. Thanks for listening (and recognizing the cover pic)!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
gotpop
pluggin' in mics


Joined: 31 Dec 2006
Posts: 39
Location: Palo Alto, Ca

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Made on a 488MKii and pressed to vinyl Reply with quote

This is probably the most inspiring thing I've heard in years. I've had debate after debate with one friend about the idea that you could record a "real" record in a home studio. Generally, my friend is right, and this is the exception that proves the rule.

In addition to kudos on the recording and mix, I wanted to say something that hasn't been addressed much so far: these are *great* songs. I mean, I'm a songwriter first and an engineer/producer second, and these are gorgeous. I will buy this as soon as my next paycheck comes.
_________________
Powerpop and such: http://www.myspace.com/gotpop
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
mikey_grapes
ass engineer


Joined: 12 Aug 2009
Posts: 40
Location: Cleveland, OH

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Made on a 488MKii and pressed to vinyl Reply with quote

gotpop wrote:
This is probably the most inspiring thing I've heard in years. I've had debate after debate with one friend about the idea that you could record a "real" record in a home studio. Generally, my friend is right, and this is the exception that proves the rule.

In addition to kudos on the recording and mix, I wanted to say something that hasn't been addressed much so far: these are *great* songs. I mean, I'm a songwriter first and an engineer/producer second, and these are gorgeous. I will buy this as soon as my next paycheck comes.


Hey thanks very much!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Packy
ass engineer


Joined: 18 Oct 2004
Posts: 46
Location: Chicago

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:01 am    Post subject: Re: Made on a 488MKii and pressed to vinyl Reply with quote

Upon seeing this thread pop up again I have to chime in and say that ~3 years after buying this record it still gets regular play and is a valued part of my collection. A number of guests have been impressed by it, too. The songs and spirit really hold up well past the novelty of the recording media. Very special. And very true to the TapeOp ethos. I must check out the new stuff ASAP!

And to think I discovered this gem only because I was searching for reviews of Gotta Groove (who indeed were and still are great)...bless you TOMB!
_________________
I want large...bread.

www.soundcloud.com/packylundholm
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mikey_grapes
ass engineer


Joined: 12 Aug 2009
Posts: 40
Location: Cleveland, OH

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Made on a 488MKii and pressed to vinyl Reply with quote

Packy wrote:
Upon seeing this thread pop up again I have to chime in and say that ~3 years after buying this record it still gets regular play and is a valued part of my collection. A number of guests have been impressed by it, too. The songs and spirit really hold up well past the novelty of the recording media. Very special. And very true to the TapeOp ethos. I must check out the new stuff ASAP!

And to think I discovered this gem only because I was searching for reviews of Gotta Groove (who indeed were and still are great)...bless you TOMB!


Thanks so much, Packy!

Gonna try out a Yamaha AW4416 for the next batch of tunes. My friend J.A. Beltram has had good results with his:

https://josephallenbeltram.bandcamp.com/album/n-cali-turnaround-2
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Tape Op Message Board Forum Index -> Listen to My Stuff All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum