Is the Mackie 1604-VLZ supposed to run hot?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Dubmaniac
gettin' sounds

Is the Mackie 1604-VLZ supposed to run hot?

Post by Dubmaniac » Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:50 am

I bought a Mackie 1604-VLZ mixer several months ago. I finally set it up and started using it a couple of nights ago. Last night I noticed that the top right hand corner gets very, very warm- so warm that it left a small indentation in the plastic table it was sitting on. It also has that "warm" smell like you might get with old electronics. Yes, the mixer is almost twenty years old, but this thing smells like it's from the sixties. That may not make a lot of sense, but if you smelled it, you'd know what I mean. I'm a little concerned that it could cause problems later on. I'm guessing it's the power transformer. Has anyone else experienced this with a 1604? As always, thanks in advance.
"Stare with your ears"- Ken Nordine

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:41 pm

Mackies tend to run warm.

I've got an original 1202 that gets significantly warm near the power switch.

Warm is OK. Hot is not. If you can't hold your finger on it indefinitely, a> something is wrong, and b> it's a fire hazard.

The 1604 VLZ may stem from the counterfeit electrolytic capacitor days:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague

In which case the caps are garbage, have high resistance, and run extra hot. They should be replaced.

It's probably $3 in parts, but possibly significant surgery to get deep enough into the thing to swap 'em. Can you get to the supply without prying all the knobs off?
"What fer?"
"Cat fur, to make kitten britches."