Korg D3200 Hard drive updating

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Burnt Ernie
steve albini likes it

Korg D3200 Hard drive updating

Post by Burnt Ernie » Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:52 am

Hey! I know these things are old,mine still works,and I enjoy the hands on-ness of it. However,the hard drive is small (40 gig),and it's old. In the interest of future proofing this thing,does anyone have experience with installing a bigger,or even better, SSD drive? The only time I've ever had trouble with it was when it was picking up too much vibration,so I got the disk drive busy error message,and it dumped the data. Since then I've kept it on foam pads and it's much better,but if it could be SSD,that would be great.
Ive seen some old threads on their now defunct Studiotrax.net site,but someone here's GOTTA know something?
I am the Walnut

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:59 am

As long as the format of the drive i.e. the connectors and hardware are the same, you should be o.k.

I am unaware though of any SSD drives with anything other than SATA III interface hardware format.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

jimjazzdad
takin' a dinner break

Re: Korg D3200 Hard drive updating

Post by jimjazzdad » Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:52 am

Burnt Ernie wrote:Hey! I know these things are old,mine still works,and I enjoy the hands on-ness of it. However,the hard drive is small (40 gig),and it's old. In the interest of future proofing this thing,does anyone have experience with installing a bigger,or even better, SSD drive? The only time I've ever had trouble with it was when it was picking up too much vibration,so I got the disk drive busy error message,and it dumped the data. Since then I've kept it on foam pads and it's much better,but if it could be SSD,that would be great.
Ive seen some old threads on their now defunct Studiotrax.net site,but someone here's GOTTA know something?
I still have a D888 that came with an 80 GB drive (original spec was 40 GB, like your D3200). You should be able to put any kind of IDE drive in there, but as Nick says, you won't find SSD in anything but SATA format. Lots of old IDE drives cheap in computer repair shops, Ebay, etc. but try and get a NOS one by a major manufacturer - Western Digital, Seagate - if you can.

I think Studiotrax operates as a Facebook site now, so you may be able to ask over there.
Jim Legere
Halifax, NS
Canada

floid
buyin' a studio

Post by floid » Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:13 am

Different machine and company, but I seem to recall my Tascam 2488 had a max drive size, beyond which the OS simply didn't recognize the extra space. You might encounter something similar.
Doesn't the Korg stuff have a drive caddy setup?
Village Idiot.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:13 am

Looks like it can take, or was made with, an 80GB hard drive:

http://www.birdlandmusic.net/product.php?productid=5824

Manuals etc:

http://www.korg.com/us/support/download/product/1/78/

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:25 am

"about the size it can read i think it s 120 or 128 gb but i think it s possible some news in the future. "

http://www.studiotrax.net/forums/showth ... Hard-Drive

So probably you can find a 120GB IDE FAT format drive.
Make it the "Master" in the rear jumper configuration.
And follow the sintructions there to format it properly throught the D3200.

ALso:

Working Drives:
HD--
Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 (ST340014A) 40GB, PATA (d3200 std.)
Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 (ST3120026) 120GB, PATA
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 (ST3320620A) 320 GB, IDE, 16 MB Cache, PATA/100, Mfg Date: 07136
Maxtor MaXLine II 300GB (5A300J0) PATA/133, 5400rpm. Mfg Date: 25 Oct 2004
Maxtor DiamondMax 21 ST M3250820A 250 GB, PATA/133 7200 rpm, 16MB Cache
Western Digital 250GB (WD2500JB) 7200rpm (The only issues with installation is that the plug on the ribbon cable is very snug, much tighter than on the Seagate. Configure it as a Single Drive, i.e. remove the Jumper and don't set it as a Master on a two drive system. Otherwise your CD and USB connection may fail).

http://www.studiotrax.net/forums/showth ... -the-D3200

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:27 am

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&page=1& ... go-ffab-20

LOL, Google is your friend.

This took 5 minutes to do.

Cheers

Retrovert
audio school

SD Card or CompactFlash with IDE Adapater?

Post by Retrovert » Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:05 pm

Is there any reason why an SD card or CompactFlash to IDE adapter would not work as a replacement?

I once did this for a printer which used an IDE drive for internal buffering. Didn't know the difference between solid state and rotating media. One can purchase quite large SD cards so the size isn't an issue.

The problem with this is that an SD card or CompactFlash is technically only rated for about 100K write cycles, compared to millions for an SSD. Both were, after all, designed for phones and cameras. I don't know if this would matter for this purpose, since that's a lot of writes. It's not like it is being used for routine storage in a computer.

While it would never be the speed of an SSD, an SD card or CompactFlash should be faster than the original IDE drive, provided one of the higher speeds is used.

The adapters are inexpensive (under $10) as are the cards, so the experiment wouldn't be difficult to do.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:42 pm

I have, and love, my 3200. I think the best info you can find will be the archives at Studiotrax; folks there did a _lot_ of research about what's available and what works (or worked). The site is no longer live, but you can find a lot of the old denizens on Facebook, and somebody will probably be able to help you out. Do report back here with any new info, though!

GJ
Gregg Juke
Nocturnal Productions Music Group
Drum! Magazine Contributor
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "