Of lava lamps and other mood-making illuminates

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:59 am

Yes, VERY 8) ! Sco, you are a true renaissance man, if ever there was one. I wish I could afford to have you make me a couple of mikes, a custom tape deck, some of those lamps, and some chain mail armor. I shall have to suffice with viewing your beautiful creations in cyberspace...

GJ
Gregg Juke
Nocturnal Productions Music Group
Drum! Magazine Contributor
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:03 am

yeah, that's badass scodiddly.

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:32 pm

vvv wrote:Ver' 8) !

What is the lens material?
Local stained glass artist helped me on that part. :)

Thanks for the compliments, everybody! Love all the ideas I'm seeing in this thread.

Scodiddly

Post by Scodiddly » Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:37 pm

BTW, Costo sells an awesome LED "shop light" that kicks the butt of most 4' fluorescent fixtures (output and quality of light, also dead silent) for $30. My current project is a paper-lined frame to cover one of those lights.

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:15 pm

What's the color temperature? I'm always on the lookout for bright, warm LED's these days.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

Scodiddly

Post by Scodiddly » Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:04 pm

Snarl 12/8 wrote:What's the color temperature? I'm always on the lookout for bright, warm LED's these days.
I haven't seen a number anywhere, but to me it looks on the warm end of the spectrum. I really like the one I set up over my workbench.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:42 pm

Scodiddly wrote:I don't have a studio, though I do have a house nowadays. 3-4 years ago I got back into woodworking, and needed more lights for my apartment. Also I was taking regular evening walks that included the back parking lot of the high school along the trail, right by the dumpster where the wood shop threw away their scraps. Some nice wood in that dumpster, rarely anything big but lots of oak, cherry, walnut, etc. So I started piecing things together from various scraps, which definitely got me into that "art from limitations" thing.

Those are beautiful. Nice work.

Scodiddly

Post by Scodiddly » Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:06 am

Scodiddly wrote:
Snarl 12/8 wrote:What's the color temperature? I'm always on the lookout for bright, warm LED's these days.
I haven't seen a number anywhere, but to me it looks on the warm end of the spectrum. I really like the one I set up over my workbench.
Update - those Costco 4' LED lights say 4000K on the back.

Scodiddly

Post by Scodiddly » Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:05 am

Of course if you can only find bright white LEDs and want warm white...

https://www.rosco.com/filters/cinegel.cfm

dfuruta
re-cappin' neve

Post by dfuruta » Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:56 am

Late to the party, but those floor lamps are lovely. Really nicely done! Love the controls on the bottom :D

Drone
re-cappin' neve

Post by Drone » Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:17 am

Looks like it's not just Costco doing LED shop lights around $30, weirdly this was not under LED but under strip lights.

http://www.menards.com/main/maintenance ... 4416138037

Home Depot etc. likely have some too.
The previous statement is from a guy who records his own, and other projects for fun. No money is made.

floid
buyin' a studio

Post by floid » Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:58 pm

Lowe's has them too, as well as dual and 24" versions. Can these be fully enclosed w/o shortening the lifespan?
Village Idiot.

Drone
re-cappin' neve

Post by Drone » Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:22 pm

Bit more research, you can buy just the tubes to convert current lights. There are some that fit in without any conversion, and some that require you to bypass the starter / ballast. Starting about $6 - 7 per tube :mrgreen:
The previous statement is from a guy who records his own, and other projects for fun. No money is made.

mrc
re-cappin' neve

Post by mrc » Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:14 pm

While nothing like Scodiddly's creation, I found an electro plasma light in a lava lamp style last year. Everyone loves it, and even single coil pups don't react to it, but the body rings just enough it has to be turned off when the condensers are on. Most people don't notice it until I point it out when they are checking it out up close.

Scodiddly

Post by Scodiddly » Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:59 am

floid wrote:Lowe's has them too, as well as dual and 24" versions. Can these be fully enclosed w/o shortening the lifespan?
Always a good question with LED lighting. It does generate some heat but doesn't like to be hot. A lot of people have written off LED bulbs because they put them in enclosed can fixtures and burned them out. These LED "fluorescent" tubes spread the heat out over a larger area so they don't tend to have as much of a problem.

In my lanterns I ended up putting in pretty big heatsinks and leaving some cracks top and bottom for a little air flow.