R.I.P Keith Emerson!

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

supafuzz
carpal tunnel

R.I.P Keith Emerson!

Post by supafuzz » Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:29 pm

Age 71 died last night.
I got to hang out with him backstage at a show he sat in with the band that went on before we did and we got to talk for about 15 minutes. Really sweet guy

ELP my guilty pleasure music.

R.I.P.
Super 70 Studio.. Never tell a perfectionist that the mix is perfect!

http://www.super70studio.com
http://www.facebook.com/Super70Studio

now in glorious HD3

variableD
ass engineer

Post by variableD » Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:17 am

He didn't just die peacefully in his sleep. He shot himself in the head. Who does that at 71 years old? There's got to be more to the story.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:52 am

Its sad news. I heard he was sick and in pain, including nerve issues that were making it hard to play. He was frustrated and depressed. What a sad way to end an extraordinary life.

variableD
ass engineer

Post by variableD » Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:14 pm

Apparently he was worried that people would be disappointed that he couldn't play as well as he used to. I wish it had occurred to him that people would be more disappointed that he was gone, forever. He could have cancelled his tour and retired from performing... he could have kept composing, and let other people play his compositions. Everybody gets old (if they don't die first). There's no shame in it.

I know, it's not as simple as that. He may have been clinically depressed, and that goes beyond any logical arguments or reasoning. I just hope anyone else in a similar situation would consider that suicide is a bigger let-down to fans than some misplayed notes, and reconsider.