Tascam Porta Two - flywheel cannot disengage

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

nunez
audio school

Tascam Porta Two - flywheel cannot disengage

Post by nunez » Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:45 pm

Hey there, this is my first post to TapeOp. it's been a long time coming.

I've been searching the internet and can't seem to find an answer to my more specific question.

I've recently acquired a tascam porta two. almost everything about it works perfectly EXCEPT: the flywheel in charge of whether the tape head is up or down does not seem to work when the case is on. the posts that i did find on the topic were almost completely helpful - i pulled the tape deck apart and manually adjusted the flywheel to disengage the tape head.

as soon as i put the case back on, the tape heads once again get stuck - meaning i have to pull the case apart to get the tape heads to disengage again.

this question is not porta-studio specific(I think)

Do you have any tips for improving the performance of this flywheel/ensure the tape heads will disengage properly when the case is on?

wkrbee
pushin' record

Post by wkrbee » Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:42 pm

There are tiny little ball bearings that the head base assy rides on.Sometimes they fall out-or the whole assy could be all goobered up with dried up lube.Also the Porta 1 and 2 used two plastic gears labelled 'Gear A' and 'Gear B'-the leading edge of Gear B wears and Gear A no longer would engage.Unfortunately both are discontinued
Grandpa sez"common sense ain't that common"