mp3 delivery methods and formatting...

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

DrummerMan
george martin

mp3 delivery methods and formatting...

Post by DrummerMan » Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:06 pm

Howdy All!

I'm finishing putting together a soundtrack album for a movie I recently scored. Among other things, the album is to be sent to people who backed the film during it's Kickstarter campaign.

Currently, my plan is to put them in a folder which will either be zipped or sent out as is (I won't be doing the actual sending myself, the producers will be doing that AFAIK). The mp3s have been made with ID3 tags which gives all the pertinent info, including track name, artist, and track numbers.

Here's my dilemma:
As it is now, the actual file name includes the track number in the beginning, so, for example, track 4 entitled "Gone Fishin..." would have the file name "04Gone Fishin.mp3", because I'm old and paranoid and am worried about things like the tracks being out of order and this is how I've always done it. :?

Is this still necessary these days? Was it ever? Technically, if they import or drag the file into iTunes it should read the ID3 tag and see that it's track 4 and put it in it's correct place in order, right? There's just a part of me that imagines the contents of the folder in alphabetical order (without the numbers in the title) and cringes.

As an alternative, is there a smoother delivery method that my troglodytic out-of-the-loop self isn't aware of? I considered a download code for my Bandcamp site, but I find that that whole thing can be a turnoff to people who may be even less digitally savvy than I am, which I imagine might be the case for many of these Kickstarter backers.

Open to suggestions! Just keep in mind I'm trying to keep this as simple and clear as possible. Thanks!
Geoff Mann
composer | drummer | Los Angeles, CA

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Re: mp3 delivery methods and formatting...

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:43 pm

DrummerMan wrote: Is this still necessary these days? Was it ever? Technically, if they import or drag the file into iTunes it should read the ID3 tag and see that it's track 4 and put it in it's correct place in order, right? There's just a part of me that imagines the contents of the folder in alphabetical order (without the numbers in the title) and cringes.
Not necessary for the reasons you just stated. If in doubt, make a copy, delete the numbers in the file name, import the album into iTunes and see what happens.
DrummerMan wrote: As an alternative, is there a smoother delivery method that my troglodytic out-of-the-loop self isn't aware of? I considered a download code for my Bandcamp site, but I find that that whole thing can be a turnoff to people who may be even less digitally savvy than I am, which I imagine might be the case for many of these Kickstarter backers.
If you're on gmail you can use Google Drive. They give you something like 15gigs of space. Upload the album, click the "get link" button, copy it and paste it into the email you send out to the backers. Done.
Dropbox will work just as well.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:26 am

The ID3 tags should work well with most modern computer playback softwares.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:02 am

Do try for 320kps, tho'.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

DrummerMan
george martin

Post by DrummerMan » Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:35 am

vvv wrote:Do try for 320kps, tho'.
But of course....