RegisterRegister
FAQ  -  SEARCH  -  MEMBERS  -  FAVORITES  -  PROFILE
When to read vs. do

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Tape Op Message Board Forum Index -> Recording Techniques
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vvv
zen recordist

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:53 pm    Post subject: When to read vs. do Reply with quote

So I've bought a few books over the years about recording - including the TapeOp books - and also keep reading some mags - including TO - and can do alla that on the commute, during work downtime, on the Thos. Crapper ...

But I recently (well, two months ago) bought a book with a included DVD what is supposed to learn ya about mixing with real-life examples and such, but I don't have time to read/use it because ...

... I'm too busy recording and mixing.

So, do I take some time off from doing it, to read about it?

Twisted Evil
Drone
buyin' gear

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: When to read vs. do Reply with quote

No.
vvv
zen recordist

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: When to read vs. do Reply with quote

Yep.

I mean, I agree, I reckon.

Ah well, another US$10 wasted (book was on sale).
Drone
buyin' gear

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: When to read vs. do Reply with quote

I spent a bunch on ProTools books, and sorta tried to force myself to like it. I'm an electrical engineer with a live sound background, it was allegedly made to make sense to my type of person.

Eventually I said to hell with it, switched to REAPER, never looked back. Doing is way more fun, and I've achieved way more.
RoyMatthews
re-cappin' neve

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: When to read vs. do Reply with quote

NVM.

Last edited by RoyMatthews on Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nick Sevilla
speech impediment

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: When to read vs. do Reply with quote

I only read audio books in my specially made reading room with custom porcelain throne.
joninc
carpal tunnel

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: When to read vs. do Reply with quote

i find that every once in a while i am really hungry for some fresh input - that's when i'd reach for the book. in the meantime, bash your head against the wall Smile
Injured Ear
alignin' 24-trk

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:05 am    Post subject: Re: When to read vs. do Reply with quote

I've been reading about recording for 25+ years. I find inspiration and fresh ideas or methods I've forgotten about all the time.

My only suggestion is that if you find yourself in a rut, it's good to read to find inspiration.

If you're busy and killing it... well then, keep up the good work and write about what youre doing!

-Greg
vvv
zen recordist

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: When to read vs. do Reply with quote

OK, I did some here, here. (Also sometimes on my blog, linked below).
drumsound
TOMB Moderator
TOMB Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:34 am    Post subject: Re: When to read vs. do Reply with quote

I bought a book with my PT rig almost 3 years ago. It came with a DVD of "lesson" sessions. I never loaded any of the, and I use the book as a reference tool when needed. I thought I'd sit and read it, but I didn't. Its useful and I'm glad I have it, but that's that.

I would never stop working to "practice" the gig. I might try some stuff in the off hours, but honestly, in tho off hours I like to be OFF.
SARA QUAH PLEDGE PAGE
WWRTBD?
vvv
zen recordist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: When to read vs. do Reply with quote

Not a pro here, so I hadda change yer statement to fit me:

"I would never stop playing* to "practice" the gig. I try some stuff in the off hours, but honestly, in the off hours I need to be PLAYING."

Thanx, y'all! I no longer feel guilty about squandering the DVD/book - I'll get to it when I get to it.

*"playing" = writing, performing, recording music, with the occasional foray into indulging GAS and repairing the acquisitions
cgarges
zen recordist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: When to read vs. do Reply with quote

I'm constantly reading stuff. I can't get enough of it, whether I'm working a lot or not.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
vvv
zen recordist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: When to read vs. do Reply with quote

Me, too - I'm always reading stuff, download shite to *.pdf and keep it on my tablet.

It's just the DVD thing was hanging me up ...

For example, I took today offa work and I just mixed a demo where the bassist added some cool keyboard horns.

Next, I have two bass tracks to do on songs where he wants some inspiration (we have our first jam - where the drummer meets the bassists for the first time! - this weekend).

Then, I have to fix a amp (Ampeg VT60) what keeps fading out - probably a tube issue.

So the DVD/book will hafta wait ...

... but I'll not feel guilty! Twisted Evil
Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: When to read vs. do Reply with quote

I pretty much devour stuff about people making things, music especially, whether I like the outcome or not. I'll quite often have a music doc on while I'm in the bath or washing up. There's always at least one thing that triggers a thought or an idea.

Books, less so these days, but maybe I'm just not hearing of anything that I want to read. Building my little studio last summer I read myself in circles about acoustics and materials, but it all worked out pretty well.

rigsbysmith.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Tape Op Message Board Forum Index -> Recording Techniques All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: