RegisterRegister
FAQ  -  SEARCH  -  MEMBERS  -  FAVORITES  -  PROFILE
Of Chicago in 1993, grunge, Albini, etc.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Tape Op Message Board Forum Index -> People/Places/Things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vvv
zen recordist

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:21 pm    Post subject: Of Chicago in 1993, grunge, Albini, etc. Reply with quote

I was there as a musician (played every club mentioned and more) and fan and in my job, knew/know many of these people on a first name or just "Hello" basis and had drinks with more than a few, was in business with one of the bands pictured, can personally vouch for a few of the stories.

I don't know the author, but he was well-known and his opinions as notorious as he says.

His facts are accurate, in the stories that I know.

Besides alla that, it's actually a hella read, if very opinionated:

http://music.newcity.com/2016/03/31/liz-phair-steve-albini-me-the-true-story-of-1993-the-greatest-goddamn-year-in-chicago-rock-history/
CraigS63
pushin' record

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Of Chicago in 1993, grunge, Albini, etc. Reply with quote

Looks like they took the link out from under you?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
vvv
zen recordist

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Of Chicago in 1993, grunge, Albini, etc. Reply with quote

Yes, they did. Confused

It's getting some attention. DeRogatis responds, here.

Anyone wants the Wyman story, PM me and I can send it.
Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Of Chicago in 1993, grunge, Albini, etc. Reply with quote

I read it. The top half is really interesting and gives you that familiar feel of that time, a time that I loved. I was a massive fan of Gish and liked the first Phair album. The latter half though kind of heads into 'why are is this still on your mind after 20 years?' territory.

rigsbysmith.com
floid
re-cappin' neve

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Of Chicago in 1993, grunge, Albini, etc. Reply with quote

I had a similar reaction. Those years were formative for me, and so it's interesting to be reminded of the debates that dominated, and of some acts I'd sort of forgotten... but I didn't find anything to bring it in to the present.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Tape Op Message Board Forum Index -> People/Places/Things All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: