RegisterRegister
FAQ  -  SEARCH  -  MEMBERS  -  FAVORITES  -  PROFILE
Michael Daves - Orchids and Violence out on Nonesuch

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Tape Op Message Board Forum Index -> Listen to My Stuff
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mwerden
steve albini likes it

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:12 pm    Post subject: Michael Daves - Orchids and Violence out on Nonesuch Reply with quote

So I guess you're supposed to post stuff like this before the album release shows. But I'm a dummy so I didn't. Nonetheless, here I am!

Anyway, a little over a year ago I recorded an amazing bluegrass band in a beautiful sounding chapel in Brooklyn. Michael Daves, Noam Pikelny, Tony Trischka, Brittney Haas, Sarah Jarosz, Mike Bub, plus some other guests. Four track tape, only a few mics, just generally awesome.

The interesting twist to this project is that Michael then recorded the same set of songs in a more electric noisy 90s sludge fashion. Both sides mixed by Vance Powell in Nashville and finally out on Nonesuch. Check it out, bonus cameo by me in the background of the video at the bottom:

http://www.nonesuch.com/journal/michael-daves-two-album-set-orchids-and-violence-out-now-2016-02-26
vvv
zen recordist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Michael Daves - Orchids and Violence out on Nonesuch Reply with quote

Cool
transmothra
gimme a little kick & snare

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Michael Daves - Orchids and Violence out on Nonesuch Reply with quote

Holy crap, that's cool! I like the sludgy versions best, but that's just my taste. Sounds really great though - nice and clear mix. Songs translate strangely well across versions.

jeremyjarratt.com | bandcamp | soundcloud
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Tape Op Message Board Forum Index -> Listen to My Stuff All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: