RegisterRegister
FAQ  -  SEARCH  -  MEMBERS  -  FAVORITES  -  PROFILE
DB25 Wiring Method

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Tape Op Message Board Forum Index -> DIY Gear
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Recording Engineer
steve albini likes it

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:27 pm    Post subject: DB25 Wiring Method Reply with quote

About to wire up another studio and have an insane amount of DB25s to do. In the past, I've always lifted Pin 1/Sleeve at the inputs on XLR and TRS line-level, but when I've done DB25s in the past, I've always soldered everything up. What does everyone do with DB25 inputs when wiring then up yourself and the rest of your input connectors have their grounds lifted? To connect or not to connect, that is the question?

By the way, the only things that have DB25s on their inputs are the Avid I/Os and the Duality console.
Nick Sevilla
speech impediment

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: DB25 Wiring Method Reply with quote

You should always follow SSL Duality protocols.

Email them or give them a call, they will help you out.

Cheers
Dominick Costanzo
pushin' record

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: DB25 Wiring Method Reply with quote

Lifting shield at inputs compensated for poorly designed grounding schemes in the equipment. I've stopped doing this 15 years a go and have never looked back. Most modern equipment has been designed with proper internal grounding.
crow
steve albini likes it

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: DB25 Wiring Method Reply with quote

You may have tried this/know this already, but for anyone new to DB25 soldering, a fast way to do it is to pre-solder the cups on the connector and re-heating when you put the wire in saves you from needing a third arm to hold the solder. Just make sure you leave the whole thing heated up long enough to make a good connection. But not so long that you melt the plastic. Ah, the delicate balance!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Tape Op Message Board Forum Index -> DIY Gear All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: