Renew Avid Upgrade plan?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

alexdingley
buyin' a studio

Re: Renew Avid Upgrade plan?

Post by alexdingley » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:07 am

kslight wrote: When you consider that many other top developers believe $29 month is the magic number, I would rather pay $99/year. I mean, yeah, I'd rather not pay at all, of course, but given my choices...
yeah... I'd have no problem with $99/yr ? I'm just raw from the burn of having to pay an extra 2yrs worth of installments to get back on board, after a lapse of just a few weeks.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:53 pm

Welcome to the new land of yearly pricing for software.

I for one am o.k. with this, because it keeps them updating, and forces most companies to listen to their user base.

And yes it is only 299 to update your subscription in the future, so if I were you, unless you NEED the features of PT 12.5, then don't worry about it, until the next big one which might have features you want.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

sdelsolray
pluggin' in mics

Re: Renew Avid Upgrade plan?

Post by sdelsolray » Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:11 pm

kslight wrote:
sdelsolray wrote:
alexdingley wrote:I just got an alert from Avid, that my first year of the Avid upgrade plan is coming to a close. I'd bought the PT12+1yr upgrade about a year ago.

Honestly, I haven't even installed PT12. I'm still running 11, because I only use PT for tracking, and this was a 'rebuilding year' for me; bought a house, just finished building the studio space.

So, anyway ??Avid is offering $99/yr for this upgrade/support plan & they're giving away the Avid '11' plug-in (guitar amp modeling) if I upgrade before the end of March.

Does anyone see any major benefits to keeping on their upgrade plan? Can't I just join the upgrade plan later if/when there's a new PT version that i want?
Keep in mind that if you let your subscription lapse, you can still use PT 11 or 12, but any further upgrades will require you to buy the product again, like at $699 or whatever the then current price is.

Wrong, it's $299 to restart a lapsed plan.
Well, that's good then, because last year it was as I said, and there were numerous complaints about it. AVID listens to customers once in a while.