RegisterRegister
FAQ  -  SEARCH  -  MEMBERS  -  FAVORITES  -  PROFILE
Utilitarian Win OS

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Tape Op Message Board Forum Index -> Computer World
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Drone
buyin' gear

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:00 pm    Post subject: Utilitarian Win OS Reply with quote

What's currently the best, or least worst, of the Microsoft OS's?

I am currently running XP on a Quad Core (Q9400) box, it's been OK, but I thought it was getting a bit memory bound, so I upped it from 2G to 10G, and then found out XP only handles 3.5G

I know Vista was bloat city, and I haven't really paid much attention to it since then, since my day job is *NIX and that's what I run at home. I record in Audacity, and dump to REAPER.
dfuruta
re-cappin' neve

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Utilitarian Win OS Reply with quote

using 7 and it seems fine. haven't tried the newer ones.
kslight
dead but not forgotten

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Utilitarian Win OS Reply with quote

11, because it's one more than ten. Twisted Evil
Drone
buyin' gear

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Utilitarian Win OS Reply with quote

Has anyone any experience of OSX on a Hackintosh (Mac on PC Hardware)?

I'm wondering if that may be a better route, I can run Reaper and Audacity in OSX.
dfuruta
re-cappin' neve

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Utilitarian Win OS Reply with quote

i've built several hackintoshes. used one for years before the processor failed. it's easy to do if you're reasonably computer-savvy and they work fine. keep a backup, as always, and do your research on hardware compatibility before building. the tonymacx86 site had the easiest ways to do it, last i saw.
Nick Sevilla
speech impediment

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Utilitarian Win OS Reply with quote

I have a Pc laptop with Winblows 10. So far Pro Tools 12 and Reaper have been doing o.k., although I only mess with it from time to time on that machine.

My two main production computers are Macs.
vvv
zen recordist

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Utilitarian Win OS Reply with quote

Drone wrote:
I record in Audacity, and dump to REAPER.

A bit OT, for what I apologise, but I'm curious as to why? (I'm on Cool Edit 2.1 onna XP Pro machine - past end of life.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Tape Op Message Board Forum Index -> Computer World All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: