first attempt at metal

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Fri May 13, 2016 8:29 pm

Maybe it just needs some growly vocals! :wink:

dfuruta
re-cappin' neve

Post by dfuruta » Fri May 13, 2016 9:32 pm

Please do! Blastbeats fix everything

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sat May 14, 2016 6:57 am

Maybe when you're done with adding overdubs you can let me do a mix of this.

Should be fun...

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

ubertar

Post by ubertar » Sat May 14, 2016 7:13 am

I've been going back and forth on whether to add to this or just leave it as is and call it done... as it is now it reflects what I can do live. But if Nick is offering to do a mix I should at least try adding to it. I'll see if I can get this done over the next week, then. Nick, should I dropbox or ftp you the stems when it's done?

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sat May 14, 2016 7:23 am

ubertar wrote:I've been going back and forth on whether to add to this or just leave it as is and call it done... as it is now it reflects what I can do live. But if Nick is offering to do a mix I should at least try adding to it. I'll see if I can get this done over the next week, then. Nick, should I dropbox or ftp you the stems when it's done?
That works for me. Hopefully after I'm done you can hear your music with a different perspective. I find that helps people break out of ruts and stuff.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

ubertar

Post by ubertar » Sat May 14, 2016 8:10 am

Thanks! I really appreciate that you feel this is worth your time. I'm planning on doing a few more of these, to add up to an album's worth. The instrumentation would be the same, so mixing one should be pretty much like mixing the others... if you'd be up for doing the whole project it would give it consistency. But if that's too much to ask, I totally understand. I can just learn from what you do with this one. I think it'll be easier for me to complete this if I do all the basic tracking first for all the pieces and add extra drums, vocals, etc. after instead of going back and forth. That'll make the sounds more consistent for mixing too. So probably three more in addition to this one.

For the next ones, I'm going to split the signals out from the guitar instead of summing them... it has three courses of strings that each get fuzzed separately. With a separate track for each there will be a lot more control for the mix.

Then I'll be on to the next project, more of an avant-jazz thing, I think. :)