RegisterRegister
FAQ  -  SEARCH  -  MEMBERS  -  FAVORITES  -  PROFILE
Music-related biographies, etc.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Tape Op Message Board Forum Index -> People/Places/Things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vvv
zen recordist

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 6:06 pm    Post subject: Music-related biographies, etc. Reply with quote

In the last few months I read Billy Joe Shaver's, what was good, fairly informative of his history altho' not very insightful or in-depth. 2 outta 5 olives.

I read BoB Mould's, what was excellent writing and very interesting but may disturb anyone who is not gay-friendly or at least open-minded about alternative life-styles. That said, it was very cool to learn his creative process, and the influence of his life on his art. 4 outta 5 olives.

Currently 1/3 through a biography of Al Jourgensen, and enjoying that, also.
Scodiddly
ghost haunting audio students

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Music-related biographies, etc. Reply with quote

A fair number of "at risk in 2016" people have written books already, some more than a decade ago. Joe Jackson's is pretty funny, as is John Lydon's. And I did enjoy the Keith Richards one a fair bit too.
vvv
zen recordist

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Music-related biographies, etc. Reply with quote

Scodiddly wrote:
A fair number of "at risk in 2016" people have written books already, some more than a decade ago. Joe Jackson's is pretty funny, as is John Lydon's. And I did enjoy the Keith Richards one a fair bit too.

I read the latter two - well, it was some Sex Pistol's book - enjoyed 'em.

Joe Jackson, eh?
A.David.MacKinnon
mixes from purgatory

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Music-related biographies, etc. Reply with quote

The Dirt (Motley Crue) is the gold standard of rock auto biographies. It's better and funnier than Spinal Tap. You'd really expect them to try to paint themselves in a favourable light but they somehow fail at that, god bless them.
Satan Is Real by Charlie Louvin is pretty great. David Byrne's How Music Works is one of the smartest books I've ever read and unusual in it's total lack of nostalgia. The How To Make A Scene chapter is pure gold. I read Keith's book and thought it was meh. I think his son (who acted as his handler/babysitter through the 70's) probably has a more interesting story to tell.

http://adavidmackinnon.blogspot.com
http://adavidmackinnon.bandcamp.com
jimjazzdad
alignin' 24-trk

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Music-related biographies, etc. Reply with quote

Enjoyed Nick Mason's Inside Out very much...but then I have always been a huge PF fan. I suppose its more of a history that a bio tho...
joninc
carpal tunnel

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Music-related biographies, etc. Reply with quote

in the past few years i have read a few gooders:

White Bicycles: Making Music in the 1960s

Nileism: The Strange Course of the Blue Nile
Jarvis
takin' a dinner break

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: Music-related biographies, etc. Reply with quote

Three Dog Nightmare, Chuck Negron
George Jones has a couple of unbelievable reads out there.
Yes the Crue book was good but read the 3DN one and be amazed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Tape Op Message Board Forum Index -> People/Places/Things All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: