RegisterRegister
FAQ  -  SEARCH  -  MEMBERS  -  FAVORITES  -  PROFILE
Do you ride drums in a mix?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Tape Op Message Board Forum Index -> Recording Techniques
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JWL
deaf.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:48 am    Post subject: Re: Do you ride drums in a mix? Reply with quote

Yeah. Usually I'll get a solid, rough, static mix with perhaps more compression than I'll use on the final mix. Then I'll add automation to restore some dynamics, and often back off on the compressors some.

Depends on the mix though....
Recycled_Brains
deaf.
http://buckingtheodds.com/wp-content/forum-avatars/1278302743clint_eastwood-avatar1.jpg

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Do you ride drums in a mix? Reply with quote

sort of on topic....

http://geargods.net/ask-a-producer/martin-bisi-overhead-room-drum-microphone/

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com
http://maggotbrainny.blogspot.com
http://maggotbrainny.tumblr.com
drumsound
TOMB Moderator
TOMB Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Do you ride drums in a mix? Reply with quote

test
SARA QUAH PLEDGE PAGE
WWRTBD?
oneflightup
pluggin' in mics

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Do you ride drums in a mix? Reply with quote

So long as your dynamics are reasonably controlled with compressors, then I usually find I don't need to ride the faders much, if at all.
As a general rule, I only ever do anything in the studio if it *needs* to be done. I'm a big believer in "less is more" and not overcomplicating things, or doing things for no real reason.
Of course, if the track needs the drums up in a certain spot, then sure, I'll do it. But otherwise, I don't see why the overall general level of the drums needs to keep going up and down in a track. If that was needed - then surely the drummer would have played the part that way. In which case, the drummer has done the 'riding' of levels (dynamics), so I don't need to mess with it.
In general I think people 'fiddle' with things in the studio too much, when at the end of the day, it's not necessary.

My 2 cents Smile
Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 1:53 am    Post subject: Re: Do you ride drums in a mix? Reply with quote

oneflightup wrote:
So long as your dynamics are reasonably controlled with compressors, then I usually find I don't need to ride the faders much, if at all.
As a general rule, I only ever do anything in the studio if it *needs* to be done. I'm a big believer in "less is more" and not overcomplicating things, or doing things for no real reason.
Of course, if the track needs the drums up in a certain spot, then sure, I'll do it. But otherwise, I don't see why the overall general level of the drums needs to keep going up and down in a track. If that was needed - then surely the drummer would have played the part that way. In which case, the drummer has done the 'riding' of levels (dynamics), so I don't need to mess with it.
In general I think people 'fiddle' with things in the studio too much, when at the end of the day, it's not necessary.

My 2 cents Smile

Just checked out your site, that mural above the desk is super nice.

rigsbysmith.com
oneflightup
pluggin' in mics

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 4:03 am    Post subject: Re: Do you ride drums in a mix? Reply with quote

Thanks Rigsby!
It came from Ikea of all places!

Nick Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Tape Op Message Board Forum Index -> Recording Techniques All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: