Buying & Selling on the TOMB - third-party escrow?

*Gear*ed towards individuals who are buying/selling - NOT a place for businesses to post their goods for sale.

Moderators: TapeOpLarry, tomb

TapeOpHillary
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Buying & Selling on the TOMB - third-party escrow?

Post by TapeOpHillary » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:46 am

people write to me often asking about how safe it is to buy or sell via the tape op board and my answer is that obviously we're not ebay. we're like craigslist. it's at your own risk.

that said, your opinions are appreciated about good third-party escrow sites or anything else that helps make money exchange safer.

please DO NOT post any specific experience with any specific member here, that's not what i'm asking - and advance warning - i'll delete any comments like that.

thanks!
:) hillary

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:20 am

I have used Mercenary Audio as an Escrow service and was pleased with them.

But, this was before the "New Management" took over.

I say stay away from Mercenary Audio now.

The current owner, not such a nice person.

Search all over the net for more info on why I say this.
Last edited by Nick Sevilla on Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

nag hammadi
gettin' sounds

Post by nag hammadi » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:32 am

it seems like we are all pretty well protected when using paypal.

i kinda like what i've seen on other sites when people list the other people they have had good experiences with. sorta build credibility or whatever.
i can't really hear my solo, man

TapeOpHillary
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpHillary » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:38 am

i don't really want this thread to turn into a list of good buyers/sellers... thanks.

coloneljoash
audio school

Post by coloneljoash » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:48 pm

Thanks for bringing this up Hilary. Does anyone know excatly what Paypal offers in terms of protection for this kind of trading?

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:21 pm

Paypal offers protection for both parties, I use it all the time (and have used the protection for when i've gotten stiffed many times as well).

For a seller, it ensures that the payment is coming from a valid source (and if not they hold the payment and tell you not to send anything till it clears), and in the case of a spammer, they protect your info and account.

For a buyer, if you receive an item that's not as described (broken when said it would work, different unit altogether, etc.) you file a case and explain your issue (100% of the time i've done this after getting stiffed i have gotten the case in my favor) and then they take the money from the sellers account to refund you if they are not willing or are unresponsive.

I often use paypal with Craigslist buys as well since I'm so well protected, they really have gotten their act together over there in San Jose.

leftofthedial
pushin' record

Post by leftofthedial » Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:15 am

Paypal is more buyer centric. Rules and refund policies often screw sellers. They are fine for small purchases and obviously is the only real game in town for eBay if you do not have your own POS system. But my experience with them has been way less than perfect as a seller. Scammers can often use their policies to their advantage for receiving both a product and a refund from you via Paypal.
They mostly come at night..... Mostly.