Of Pods and p*ds; digi-dreck and those who love it

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Sun May 15, 2016 6:03 pm

Scodiddly wrote:One of the new kids at work is a huge Primus fan. So I've been hearing more Primus than usual lately. I do still like that early album with all the classic songs on it, but it sure doesn't sound that good. I'm told that the first three albums were recorded on ADAT, which is why it sounds so thin.

I don't think so. It's not about gear, it's about choices. There are other ADAT albums that don't sound that way.
I am far from a Primus expert, but I had read somewhere that some of their early tracks/albums were to Tascam 388?but not sure which you are referencing.

Also IRT ADAT, The Downward Spiral is another one of those albums that to me sounds pretty good and was ADAT.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Sun May 15, 2016 8:08 pm

I don't care what anyone says, amp sims and modelling amps are tools of the devil and should be avoided like the plague (by me at least). I don't want 10000 shitty options. I want an amp that does one (or maybe two) things beautifully. Even better if it can do that while being large, awkward and heavy. The fewer knobs the better. My 2 favourite amps each have one volume and one tone control. My favourite amp inexplicably includes the on/off switch as part of the tone knob. Genius.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sun May 15, 2016 9:08 pm

I just counted and I have 7 tube amps and 6 S/S; the tube amps are used far more, except I do like the Trademark 10 (analog simulator) and the Pathfinder. And I love the Ampeg PF500 for bass - genius.

As far as ADATs, a bunch of Cure albums were recorded on those ...
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Jim Williams
tinnitus

Post by Jim Williams » Mon May 16, 2016 7:50 am

The thin black ADAT sound was caused by the use of a 1 uf input blocking cap. There is no depth. I changed that to 47 uf on mine and the low end was thunderous.

The live jazz tracks I recorded back then still sound excellent after transfers.
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Mon May 16, 2016 1:56 pm

Jim Williams wrote:The thin black ADAT sound was caused by the use of a 1 uf input blocking cap. There is no depth. I changed that to 47 uf on mine and the low end was thunderous.

The live jazz tracks I recorded back then still sound excellent after transfers.
Yep.

I had modded 4 of those at an old studio with this exact mod. Sadly the musicianship was not also modded up to better standards.

LOL
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

RoyMatthews
re-cappin' neve

Post by RoyMatthews » Mon May 16, 2016 2:19 pm

Nick Sevilla wrote:
Jim Williams wrote:The thin black ADAT sound was caused by the use of a 1 uf input blocking cap. There is no depth. I changed that to 47 uf on mine and the low end was thunderous.

Yep.

I had modded 4 of those at an old studio with this exact mod. Sadly the musicianship was not also modded up to better standards.

LOL
Give me good musicians on a stock ADAT than bad musicians on a modded ADAT.
"If there's one ironclad rule of pop history, it's this: The monkey types Hamlet only once."

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:11 am

So I'm up in WI this past week (funeral) and a cuppla days ago (post-funeral, pre-burial) I'm drinking inna AmLegion (small town) with this 77 y.o. guy who plays lap, banjo and electric guitar inna kinda Americana/country band.

He's telling me how his 6 counterfeit Teles are so cool and we get to talking amps.

He's reluctant to, "I don't know nothin' about amps" he says, but he's been playing 65 years and is still active so I press him.

"Gotta Priceton, and it's my fave, gotta Line 6 and I really don't like it, gotta Valvetronix and I really don't like that, a solid-state Gibson sompin' and that's just OK."

I think the man know amps, me.

We spoke of pedals, and he said "really don't like" of all his digital pedals, also, altho' he never before realized it was his digital equip he "really don't like".
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:35 am

Isn't that a lot like a racist and a redneck talking politics? Of course they agree.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:37 pm

Say what?

Besides the forced - and frankly, dooshy - analogy, you are operating on baseless assumption.

I did not prompt him in any way, he said what he wanted to say, and by the way, you have no basis for saying otherwise.

That I agree with him is obvious and evident, (tho' not initially to him, as I disclosed my opinions only after he disclosed his).

That he is correct is my argument.

That I am neither racist nor redneck, and neither was my new friend - an electrical and architectural engineer of some renown, and an officer in the American Legion following 4 years in the Army during the "Berlin Crisis" - is actually irrelevant to the thread's point, altho' the descriptors you chose become ad hominen attacks if not discounted as thoughtless. But since you raised it, I dispute your "of course", also; I know some rednecks who are not racist, and I know some racists who are not redneck, and many of them would disagree with most of what some others in your metaphorical grouping believe. 5%'rs and the Klan, for example (and yes, I have known members of each.)
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.