Question about studer 827 output.

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

southsider
pluggin' in mics

Question about studer 827 output.

Post by southsider » Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:47 am

Hey everyone,

I'm working on a Studer 827, and all is well, except for one problem. One of the channels, 17, is putting out a very low signal, but just on the REPRO head. If I switch to SYNC, it's fine.

I'm testing with MRL tape, different speeds, etc. I've reseated the big CH 17/18 module at the bottom along with it's ribbon cables, but to no avail.

Any ideas on what may cause this?

Thanks in advance everyone.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Re: Question about studer 827 output.

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:50 am

I not super familiar with that machine but if it was me I'd try swapping the 17/18 card with another. Does the problem follow the card? Also, are there separate electronics/cards for synch and repro? how does the repro head look?

southsider
pluggin' in mics

Post by southsider » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:29 am

Thanks for the input. Yes, I swapped the 17-18 card for another, and the problem still remains on ch 17. Head looks good and is clean. A tech told me that the next thing to do is swap the head preamp cards.

Has anyone ever done this? I can't seem to figure out if they're supposed to come out the top (first have to remove the big mount with all the db25 plugs), or if the cage is supposed to come out the bottom, and then remove the preamp cards.

Can't find anything in the manual regarding this procedure.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:02 am

Dumb question:

You are doing all this troubleshooting AFTER having aligned the entire machine properly?

From record all the way to playback?
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:05 am

Dumb question number 2:

Are you checking the level with a voltage meter? Or are you basing the level only on the VU meter on the machine?

If the level is correct on the voltage meter, meaning it matches the other channels, then the VU meter is off, and needs recalibrating.

If the level on the voltage meter is off, THEN you have a problem with the output.

But, this cannot be traced up to and until you already calibrated the machine completely, to rule out any goofups / operator error / forgotten to set record side /etc.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.