Latest gear you've acquired.....

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:35 pm

So I was minding my own business looking for a pair of old Klipsch speakers to go with my old Sansui receiver. I found a pair on Craiglist, and it had had some Bob Crites mods, which apparently is a popular thing. This particular pair was touted as having had all the mods. Crossovers, titanium diaphragms, re-coned woofers and passive radiators ..and the owner had also seen fit to re-veneer the things in zebrawood. The price was fair, I call and I'm in.

I google map the address, and wow. Big gates, long narrow tree covered cobblestone driveway that expands out in front of the house replete with six carefully covered sports cars. Soon I am to find it's the house of Ken Leonard who was a big deal in 1970's electronics among other things.

He was the founder AEA Electronics http://aeaaudio.com/legacy-page/ which has been restarted recently. His first board was used at Criteria Studios for Clapton's Derek & the Dominos Layla sessions and it took off from there..Fleetwood Mac Rumours etc..
He also happens to hold a patent for certifying the security of websites.

So anyway, his son makes the minute or so walk to the black gates to let my car in. Once parked I am invited inside and we make our way back past ornate furnishings, sculptures and statues to the "stereo room/pool table room/electronics projects room".

Next to a picture of Mr. Leonard adjusting a mixing desk (as Eric Clapton and members of the Allman Brothers look on) are the speakers. Currently the pool table is covered and full of electronics projects in progress, namely the refurbing of classic tube receivers and integrated amps which he and his father do for fun.
The speakers were demoed with a 7 watt Heathkit amp. They sounded good low, they sounded good cranked. sold.

The House..
Last edited by shedshrine on Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:47 pm

shedshrine wrote: He also happens to hold a patent for certifying the security of websites.
Didja ask him about our Authentication popup issue ? :twisted:

Seriously, great story, awesome score! 8)
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:30 am

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:37 am

Woah! (Don't know the "pacifics", of course, but I do know the company. Convertors? Mothership?)

Me, I just picked up a Rane MS1B, and a cuppla EHX OD's, (The Glove and Hot Tubes).

BTW: how many pedals/guitars/amps/pre-amps/mic's is enuff?

:twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:41 am

We have had the Burl B-2 Bomber 2 channel A to D since they came out.
Every critical overdub and every mix we've done since then has been through the B-2. We also use it as our clock source.

Super excited to be going all the way with a fully loaded 24 x 32 Mothership at our new place. Should have it all going by Wednesday.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:00 pm

In the never-ending quest for tone, I just scored another amp - a Vox Night Train 50H G2 for @ US$200.

I am very happy. 8)
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:02 pm

roscoenyc wrote:We have had the Burl B-2 Bomber 2 channel A to D since they came out.
Every critical overdub and every mix we've done since then has been through the B-2. We also use it as our clock source.

Super excited to be going all the way with a fully loaded 24 x 32 Mothership at our new place. Should have it all going by Wednesday.
My upgrade in my studio will be looking into something by these guys. And reducing my Pro Tools HD multitrack rig, since I no longer do tape transfers.

What's in the box?
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:23 pm

Just picked up a 1x10 Blackstar extension cab to go under my Night Train 50, US$120 shipped. That head has been very nice for recording thru a Jet City 1x10 that is reserved for my Tiny Terror, but I can't wait to get to use the NT/Blackstar live.

That said, the Night Train really gets close to the AC sound on it's "Bright" channel, what was a sound I didn't have.

And now I do. 8)

Also grabbed a Samson C-Control for about a half-a-C because my DAW (CEP2.1) and the Technics receiver (SA600) I monitor with wouldn't do mono.

Spent 6 hours yesterday drinking bottled water and eating fresh-made 'tater chips with the drummer touching up the mixes on 9 trax for the next MVx2 album, and I must say, the mono option reallly speeds things up, especially when persuading him that, the kick is actually loud enuff. :twisted:

bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:15 am

Loaded Burl 24 x 32.
We are mighty happy about this.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:37 am

Sold my Iso cab and a couple e906s I wasn't using, bit the bullet and ordered a two notes torpedo live to try out with my weird amps and such for direct use, since I don't own any cabs anymore or have any desire to deal with the volume at home. Despite the "live" moniker I imagine this will primarily be used in studio.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:27 am

Jeez, no one post in this thread anymore?

Well, it does kinda feel like bragging sometimes altho' I note that as a ardent consumer of used equipment I - besides bragging - make mention of what I bought in the hopes of inspiring a related and hopefully informative comment.

And for example, I just bought a Sterling ST6050 "Ocean Way" mic - anybody have a comment about these?

Also, kslight, how's that Torpedo working forya?
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:07 pm

vvv wrote:Jeez, no one post in this thread anymore?

Well, it does kinda feel like bragging sometimes altho' I note that as a ardent consumer of used equipment I - besides bragging - make mention of what I bought in the hopes of inspiring a related and hopefully informative comment.

And for example, I just bought a Sterling ST6050 "Ocean Way" mic - anybody have a comment about these?

Also, kslight, how's that Torpedo working forya?
It's a pricey gadget, but it serves its purpose well. I now kinda wish I had more amps to use with it.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:52 pm

I bought a pair of sE T2 titanium diaphragm LDCs. These are super cool. I also finally bought the Ibanez Artist I had "on loan" from the store where I teach.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:28 am

It's not really a new purchase but I finally got my 1955 Harmony H165 mahogany acoustic into playable shape. The top was sinking and it needed a neck re-set, fret file and set-up. I'm sure I'm into it for more than the guitar is worth at this point but I've always loved these acoustics and at this point they're almost all in terrible shape and at the very least need a neck reset. Its not likely something I'll ever sell so I guess it doesn't really matter.
Now if I can just get my classical up and going. It's a 60's no-name hand made in spain. The previous owner covered it in a ton of goopy shellac and painted the rosewood fretboard black.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:45 am

I recently bought a decent - if Chinese-made - offset guitar that now has the dreaded extended fret-end syndrome that my humififier improved but cannot eliminate, so I actually bought a guitar-repair pad, neck block, fret file and fret-filing block.

Now could I just get the courage to attempt to use that stuff ...
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.