vinyl collecting ( and surrounding planetary atmosphere )

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:33 pm

cool story shredshine. when i lived in LA my friend had a crazy story of how he bought a Fender Rhodes electric piano off Craigslist. Drove up into the hollywood hills, finds a nice mansion. Wierd Al is in the driveway with the Fender Rhodes. Pays Him cash, and there you have it, he is now the owner of Wierd Al's Rhodes. LOL only in california

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:14 pm

Alternate covers:

Left uses back of original album (on right) for a reissue combining it with the tracks off their 2nd and final album, an ep ?Baby?.

Last edited by shedshrine on Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:38 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:37 am

I almost picked-up that Jackie Mitoo on my last vinyl jaunt; how do you like it?

GJ
Gregg Juke
Nocturnal Productions Music Group
Drum! Magazine Contributor
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:48 pm

Well, it's the sound of everybody hanging out and having a good time.
Booker T does reggae?

"This is reggae music for people who thought they didn't like reggae music, songs that cross musical borders. Jackie Mittoo had such a deft, versatile keyboard playing style that it truly was hard to pigeonhole him or categorize his sound. Yes, his music has roots in 1960s reggae and ska, but it also incorporates soul, jazz, and pop"
Last edited by shedshrine on Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:11 am

i have that jackie record too. it's essentially a "best of" his booker t meets reggae songs. funk-dub at its best. i love it. double disc as well, so you get 4 sides of tracks, it's well worth the high asking price (i think i paid 30 new or something).

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:50 pm

I'm digging that matador-cut jacket!

GJ
Gregg Juke
Nocturnal Productions Music Group
Drum! Magazine Contributor
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:19 pm

recently just got

badbadnotgood - iii
badbadnotgood - iv
christian scott - stretch music

BBNG is a jazz/hip-hop quartet from canada, very very talented mostly instrumentals.

christian scott is a new orleanian and prodigy on the trumpet, this record is very modern jazz and the flutist is bad as hell! some ripping stuff.

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:37 pm

Dang MJB, your killing it with the suggestions, two for two. I love that Mittoo double lp, and I'm loving the BadBadNotGood stuff as well.
I had been digging The Bad Plus of late (what is it with all this 'bad' stuff :)) particularly their "For All I Care" album and wanting to find more of that sort of "jazz meets everything" vibe. Boom!

PS-The site was hanging a bit tonight, but the dreaded "dual authorization pop up window click-dance" did not occur at all.
Something is afoot!

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:13 am

shedshrine wrote:Dang MJB, your killing it with the suggestions, two for two. I love that Mittoo double lp, and I'm loving the BadBadNotGood stuff as well.
I had been digging The Bad Plus of late (what is it with all this 'bad' stuff :)) particularly their "For All I Care" album and wanting to find more of that sort of "jazz meets everything" vibe. Boom!

PS-The site was hanging a bit tonight, but the dreaded "dual authorization pop up window click-dance" did not occur at all.
Something is afoot!
haha i'm glad you dig man. we must have similar tastes. yes i'm glad the double pop up is gone as well :) all the vinyl postings and they realized we still use this site maybe :)

yeah BBNG covered a bunch of hip-hop songs (instrumentally) on their first record and a bunch of MC's and rappers found out and had them be their band for their records. they blew up, Gilles Peterson found out about them and starting playing their stuff and the rest is history. i read some interviews where they used all their money and bought a studio (tascam atr reel to reel for tracking) and that's where they recorded III and IV. which sonically they both sound great, so for some "jazz school kids" to just be able to record and track and have it sound like that, really something special. here's a vid of the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tylZcUjo1gQ

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:48 pm

Fun thread about
vinyl guilt..

Catching up, here are a couple I"ve been waiting a long time to get until I could find them for a *fair* price.

I remember some hooha over this first one..
Chicago Ambassador article

Years later saw this and heard the other side of the story. They just wanted their album to sound the way they wanted it to rather than the way they were being dictated to have it sound.

1993 original Europe press on clear orange and 2018 US reissue remastered on 180 gram transparent blue.

"Linda Perry herself was joined by the likes of .. Lisa Germano, and Sheryl Crow producer Bill Bottrell on In Flight, her 1996 solo debut. Darker and more dynamic than her work with 4 Non Blondes, Perry came into her own as an artist on this exceptional recording. Released on Interscope, In Flight was perhaps too dour or sincere to capitalize on the alt-pop success of 4 Non Blondes and the record was hardly noticed by critics, radio, or fans."

Songs
In Flight was described by Perry as "an audio diary" inspired by Pink Floyd's The Dark Side of the Moon. She said she would have made it during her time as a member of 4 Non Blondes, but she "didn't have enough influence in the band". Songs such as "In My Dreams" and "Too Deep" were written during her time in the band, but not recorded. The album was intended to create an "atmosphere for visualization in the mind."

"Knock Me Out" was featured on the soundtrack of the film The Crow: City of Angels. Its melody was used by Ukrainian singer Alyosha for her entry in the Eurovision Song Contest in 2010, leading to allegations that her song "To Be Free" was plagiarized.

Reviews
Vincent Jeffrey, from All Music, proclaimed the album as, "Both subtle and bombastic, sweet and aggressive, and intellectually and sonically challenging." He also said "There are a couple overly personal moments within the In Flight playlist, like the opener 'In My Dreams,' but Perry leans on her expressive vocals to keep the dangerously sincere material interesting."

Larry Cook from AllMusic said, "She does not show off with powerhouse vocals as much as her earlier album with 4 Non-Blondes, but rather displays a softer tone on many of these songs while maintaining the unique sound of her voice. In Flight is a bit moody and somewhat creepy, which isn't a bad thing at all."

Is it just a west coast thing, accessing this site taking so long?
Last edited by shedshrine on Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:37 pm, edited 9 times in total.

jimjazzdad
takin' a dinner break

Post by jimjazzdad » Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:34 am

I don't know if its a west coast thing. I don't usually upload much, just replies like this one. Upload/download speeds on the east coast (using Firefox) aren't terribly snappy but aren't molasses either. Thanks for the vinyl guilt link.
Jim Legere
Halifax, NS
Canada

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:13 pm

Yeah, I can relate to the guy's plight sometimes. I am constantly going through my collection and trading in stuff that i just don't listen to. I'm at around 1700 albums. I feel fine about that. :)

One of the great things about having a good sized collection is you have something for any mood your in. Jazz is a constant, it's always time for jazz. And for when you feel particularly scattered or unfocused, or maybe just restless, nothing makes more sense to bring you back to the center than some of this guy's stuff. No, he's not for everybody, but for those of you for whom he is, you know who you are.

I like all these pictured, but the live Nefertiti double lp set has been a favorite.
(EDIT: and here I am dubbing it from vinyl and not digging it at all. Just erratic randomness. And Sunny Murray's playing is perfect for what he's accompanying, but those cymbals... I had this on a list of albums to dub, so I am hearing it without the mindset to sit down and really participate. Makes all the difference.)

Free Jazz (from article on John Coltrane's later music)

"Free jazz isn't for everybody, it's definitely some of the least accessible music of any genre, but there is a method to the madness. Free jazz isn't just someone playing willy-nilly, they're playing 'out' relative to the form of the song in order to find yet-undiscovered harmonies. Sometimes it's dissonant, sometimes it's consonant, but the whole idea is based on the music being pure, in-the-moment, organic and real. Let the chips fall where they may, like most improvised music. It?s not always friendly to the ear at first, but it does make sense the more you listen to it.

Coltrane approached free jazz I think less from a theoretical approach but from the spiritual mindset. Guys like Ornette Coleman were a bit more meticulous (ironically enough) in their arrangements and improv theory in this style- an Ornette Coleman or Eric Dolphy style melody has a lot of structure and subtlety that cues up to wild and open soloing. Guys like Coltrane and Albert Ayler played it from within and allowed the music to reflect something introspective and eerie. I find they tend to be more loose than a lot of free jazz guys. Thus, that's why it seems like Trane just sounds like he?s blowing erratically. However, he loved Ornette, Albert and Eric deeply. He worked with Eric on a few of his records and concert tours and they certainly shared an affinity. Ornette and Albert both performed at Coltrane's funeral in 1967. So Trane was like a sponge and absorbed all these elements to inform what he wanted to play. In the end, it was just his technique and the sound he felt like he wanted. It may sound random, but there is actually quite a bit of consideration taken in this approach."
Last edited by shedshrine on Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:51 pm, edited 5 times in total.

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:30 pm

Few more from local digging:

A 1966 laminated cover issue of Ornette Coleman's The Shape of Jazz to Come, which I read somewhere caused an 'uproar' because there was no piano on the date, only bass, drums and Ornette:

an original issue in great shape of the only remaining Szabo lp I had been interested in. The covers of his early stuff are often in great shape
because of the thick lamination they used, and this copy had a record in great shape inside as well.
[Image

Japan market issued Double lp: one lp of Schenker era UFO's greatest hits, and one of the Michael Schenker Group's greatest hits.
Last edited by shedshrine on Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:03 pm

Two companies, Germany?s Newbilt and Toronto-based Viryl Technologies have introduced the first new record-pressing machines in decades.

Last edited by shedshrine on Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:26 pm

Things that make the record collecting hobby more enjoyable.
If you already have all this worked out, good for you!

Couple items I've found really found worth a little outlay for a better vinyl experience.
The more I ?got? vinyl the more I appreciated having this little arsenal of goodies.
Condensing these from this thread into one spot.

_________
A gooseneck LED lamp for checking to see if your record is clean.
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70169694/

Especially for those less than pristine used records. A vinyl stack record cleaning clamp to hold your record and keep your labels dry over the sink while you wash it.
This should only need be done once on a dirty record, then put in one of those poly lined paper sleeves. Done.
If you are a high roller, by all means by yourself a record cleaning machine.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vinyl-1-Stack-R ... 1039100163

Microfiber towels. Wet them for cleaning in the sink with that record clamp from above.
Dry ones to dry the record afterwards. They aren't that absorbent, but when you get the wetness down to a sheen, I grab the edges of the record and kind of whip it up and down a few seconds and it evaporates.
https://www.amazon.com/Chemical-Guys-MI ... ber+towels

A carbon fiber brush for cleaning just before you put the needle down. Gets dust off, easy to use.
https://www.amazon.com/AudioQuest-LP-re ... ning+brush

Anti-static gun. Yep, that?s a $77 price tag.
There are records that just make the hairs on your arm stand up there is so much static. Typically when the weather and or climate is dry.
These anti-static guns might seem like an extravagance until you finally get a static charged record clean only to have it grab every dust particle in the room to itself all over again.
https://www.amazon.com/Milty-Zerostat-A ... +for+vinyl

Poly-lined paper sleeves. Keeps the dust off and out and doesn?t scuff your records. You won?t have to clean your records again if you put them in these after you do.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019R ... MVYMUIM2S3

Called Magic Eraser in Japan. For cleaning your stylus or needle. Cheap and effective. No fluids or brushes.
Just dip it into one of these a couple times and it?s clean and ready to go.
https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Clean-Eraser- ... raser&th=1

Put your entire collection on discogs if you haven't already.

extra credit: a record clamp. those weights that fit over the spindle. You'd be surprised how many by sight flat records actually sink down a little when you put one of these on it. Flattens them right out, gets maximum contact with your mat and it's subtle but I do think I hear better smoother bass on some records with one in place. YMMV :)