HELP! I have hurt my 388, degaussing gone wrong!

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Notsmiles
audio school

HELP! I have hurt my 388, degaussing gone wrong!

Post by Notsmiles » Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:22 am

I have hurt my beautiful 388. Finally after waiting months to use her I was ready. Unplugged, powered off, all systems go. Cleaned the heads and roller, proceeded to get the wand ready. Plugged in the degausser and taped it to the extension cord. The model have operates by push button so from many feet away I turn it on and begin to move towards her at a slow pace. Slowly I worked my way through the tape path, and when I reached the end my finger released the button. An inch away from my heads I had turned off the wand.

I tried turning her on and she was dead, no V.U. lights, counter or anything. She was working fully prior and before I got my grybby hands on her she had been brought up to tip top shape and stored.

How do I proceed, what can I do? Is there any spark of hope left for the nearly immaculate heads? I can't believe I failed so miserably, please help! :cry: :cry:

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:37 am

Check any fuses the unit may have, or in the absence of fuses, the power supply unit.

I do not think the degaussing unit has this sort of kill capability.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:43 am

I think the worst thing that could happen is you permanently magnetize the heads, I wouldn't expect the whole thing to be dead unless you had power going through the 388 at the time you degaussed.

Notsmiles
audio school

Post by Notsmiles » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:18 pm

Is there any way the heads could still be okay though? How would I test to see if they have a charge now? Thats the main worry I have as the head have become hens teeth.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:02 pm

Notsmiles wrote:Is there any way the heads could still be okay though? How would I test to see if they have a charge now? Thats the main worry I have as the head have become hens teeth.
Until you actually get the machine up and running again, you cannot really test the heads for their proper operation.

They should have ZERO magnetism when the unit is off, because they are ELECTROMAGNETS. The degaussing process is to get rid of ay residual magnetic force that remains in the heads, which is too much.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

floid
buyin' a studio

Post by floid » Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:09 pm

Gaussmeter.
Pushbutton? Not a Han-D-Mag then. Not a bulk eraser, right?
It worked JUST prior to this? What else might have changed between powering down and up? Confirm wall outlet, fuses, power supply output. Find the service manual, prolly still linked around here, and find a relevant troubleshoot list.
Village Idiot.