FS: 3M M56 8-track

*Gear*ed towards individuals who are buying/selling - NOT a place for businesses to post their goods for sale.

Moderators: TapeOpLarry, tomb

fazeka
steve albini likes it

FS: 3M M56 8-track

Post by fazeka » Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:24 pm

Hi all,

I hate to have to do this, but I am letting my 3M M56 8-track go - it's up for sale.

I'll probably never have another opportunity to buy a machine like this again but I need to let it go to someone who will actually use it.

Very similar to the M56 used by John Lennon on his Imagine LP except his was probably a 50Hz version.

Everything functions last time it was recently run. Has a good number of spares to keep it going for a good long while. Even includes a ANOS headstack.

Many have said these are simply some of the best sounding machines. All discrete electronics, NO ICs.

Email: [my forum handle] (at) gmail (dot) com.

References available.

Cheers,
Chris

redlanternpdx
ass engineer

Post by redlanternpdx » Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:03 pm

emailed!

fazeka
steve albini likes it

Post by fazeka » Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:43 pm

MORE DETAILS.

Machine is in very good condition. Clean!

Hard-to-find professional mutli-track! Some sources (one of the machine's designers) say not more than 200 M56s were built...

I am the fourth owner. Machine was originally from the midwest. I understand Oral Roberts University was the original owner. I shipped it to my home studio in Honolulu about 10 years ago. Always stored in a smoke/pet/child-free environment.

Includes many spares, some NOS: a dozen relays (two NOS), NOS pots, capstan flywheel belts, bulbs, lenses, NOS transport buttons, VU meter, misc transport parts/hardware, spare channel cards, incoming/outgoing capstan idlers, reverse idler (NOS), and a nearly NOS spare headstack.

Remote and manual also included.

Electrolytic capacitors replaced last year, including in the Lambda power supply. New bulbs/lenses throughout. New capstan flywheel belt. New incoming/outgoing capstan idlers & bearings.

Everything works as it should on the machine. Here's a video of the repro alignment. This is with the original heads having about 30% headlife remaining.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMrZlP062Zc

I received an estimate from a packing/freighting company I've successfully used in the past. Quote was approx. $1500 professionally packed/shipped (to New York, for estimation purposes). Actual could be +/- a little... I may be able to have a carpenter friend build a crate which would drop freight costs to about $1000...

Asking $5500. References available.

Thanks,
Chris

Image[/img]

fazeka
steve albini likes it

Post by fazeka » Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:43 pm

Managed to get "under the hood" and snag a couple internal shots. "It's a CLEAN machine!"