RegisterRegister
FAQ  -  SEARCH  -  MEMBERS  -  FAVORITES  -  PROFILE
Do you dither?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Tape Op Message Board Forum Index -> Computer World
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joninc
carpal tunnel

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:35 am    Post subject: Do you dither? Reply with quote

I have read about dither and generally always applied it in my limiter plugin when exporting mastered tracks from 32 or 24 bit to 16. i understand the theory of what it does but i am not sure if I can really hear the difference at all between tracks with it applied and tracks without dithering.

can you?

How would you describe the difference?
vvv
zen recordist

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: Do you dither? Reply with quote

Do I dither?

Well, sometimes, mebbe, I'm not really sure, I could you know, it's a possibility ...
Twisted Evil

Yes, but only when converting final 32bit(float) files to 16bit. I do it because the literature says it should be done, and the theory makes sense. To the extent I ever analyzed it, it was years ago and I recall it might have been audible at the end of long reverb-tail fade outs. It's one of those "best practices" things, I believe, where it may not always make an obvious audible difference, but in those situations that it does, not doing it would be missed.
joninc
carpal tunnel

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Do you dither? Reply with quote

it's interesting - I have been doing a bunch of reading about it and it seems like it's really a non issue with contemporary rock/pop/dance/whatever productions as the levels are so low as to be undetectable and the dynamic range isn't huge.

With something sparse and acoustic or classical, with a much wider dynamic range, it may be noticeable at the quietest moments.
vvv
zen recordist

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Do you dither? Reply with quote

Have you ever heard a reverb-tail "ladder"?

That's one thing it's meant to address.

As well, I believe it makes digital black - where, say, you have a dead-stop mid song with a extra few beats before resuming - seem a little more organic; I may be wrong on this one, but it's what I think I hear.

But yeah, it works where there is very low signal level - that's its purpose.
Nick Sevilla
speech impediment

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Do you dither? Reply with quote

Usually I leave that to the Mastering engineer, or if no mastering is going to be done, as the absolute last step. and only for music which has a need to be reduced bitwise to 16 bits, for CD duplication.

Cheers
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Tape Op Message Board Forum Index -> Computer World All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: