Shure SM57 Tape Op Mic Mod and Shootout

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

junomat
re-cappin' neve

Shure SM57 Tape Op Mic Mod and Shootout

Post by junomat » Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:59 am

A group of producers and engineers here in Baltimore get together at Mobtown Studios from time to time to talk shop ? we like to call it the Baltimore Recording Club. This time we decided to do the Tape Op Shure SM57 Mod in which we remove the transformer. We had heard there was a better bass response after the mod ? and a lower output as the aftereffect. So we did it and with that we created a mic shoot out with similar 57-ish mics.

Take a listen. The results are subtle yet different. Let us know what you hear!

The original DI signal chain: Japanese Tele -> Focusrite ISA428 mkII DI -> MOTU 24Ai @ 44.1/24bit -> Logic X

Reamp signal chain: Logic X -> MOTU 16A -> Radial X-Amp Active Re-Amplifier -> Silvertone Twin Twelve 1484 head -> Twin Twelve cab (all the mics were center on the cone on axis)

http://www.mobtownstudios.com/making-a- ... -shootout/

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:11 pm

Interesting, the Shures is all actually pretty close, altho' the modded seems a little "looser", and the Altec is very different.

I have a 545SD, and of course some 57's, and I always feel the 545 is brighter, and "looser".

"Looser", BTW, to me means not as precise, slightly mebbe distorted and/compressed, without quite the sharp attack.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:24 pm

SM7b should be in there... the capsule is either the same or very similar but the housing is obviously very different.

SM77 would be interesting to compare too... it's the same as a 57 except a)no transformer and b)the voice coil is wound with more turns of aluminum wire instead of copper. Aluminum is lighter weight, so having more turns doesn't slow down the diaphragm, and the higher number of turns makes up for the lack of transformer as far as output strength.