AMS Neve BTC questions

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Frank Tuesday
audio school

AMS Neve BTC questions

Post by Frank Tuesday » Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:32 am

I have an opportunity to buy a circa 2000 AMS Neve BTC (Broadcast Television Console) for about $125/channel. There is precious little information about these products on the internet, and AMS Neve haven't responded to my inquiry. The only thing substantive I've found is a press release from 1999:
Burnley, U.K. AMS Neve's latest analog console, the BTC (Broadcast Television Console), will make its debut at NAB '99 in Las Vegas (April 17 - 22). The BTC provides a cost-effective analogue solution to modern broadcast production needs, plus the degree of customization which many broadcasters require. AMS Neve representatives say that the new console will be ready for the challenge of DTV, in terms of both operations and quality.

AMS Neve Broadcast Television Console
The Broadcast Television Console (BTC) by AMS Neve is ready for DTV

The BTC will be available in standard frame sizes from 24 to 56 channels. It may be custom configured from a wide selection of audio and control modules, which will help keep the costs of customization within range of broadcast facilities on a budget.

The new console will be well equipped with talkback and monitoring facilities. Monitoring options include LCRS and 5.1 surround sound. The dual mix minus system enables an n-1 output on each channel, while an optional matrix system combines maximum flexibility with speed and simplicity of use.

Other features announced for the BTC include:

any combination of mono and stereo inputs
silent electronic switching
input pre-selectors with snapshot system.
direct output/mix-minus output on all inputs
Neve 4-band EQ on all input modules
red light and fader start facilities
PFL on overpress
VCA fader options
moving fader automation option
mix-minus matrix faders
LCRS & 5.1 surround sound monitoring
electronic scribble with router interface
VU/PPM moving coil and/or bargraph metering
BTS router interface
So it has some sort of Neve mic pre/ 4 channel EQ and direct outputs. I don't know if they used the same pres as recording consoles of the era.

It was recently pulled (in working condition) from a TV studio. I have no way to test it. Does anyone know anything about these consoles that would be relevent to recording audio? It would most often be used as mic pres and monitoring during recording, then analog summing, with limited use of outboard gear.

Thanks in advance.

jimjazzdad
takin' a dinner break

Post by jimjazzdad » Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:21 am

Sorry, no direct knowledge but...the price per channel sounds attractive - how often can you get a Neve pre and EQ for $125? The channel strips are likely based on something similar to what Neve was using for recording consoles at the time - can't be bad. How many channels does the desk have?
Jim Legere
Halifax, NS
Canada

hogfish
steve albini likes it

Post by hogfish » Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:30 pm

You have a 55 series broadcast console. Good mic amps and EQs. The downside? All surface mount design, which makes it difficult when something needs to be fixed. Surface Mount soldering is difficult, and you will need expensive specialized tools and optics to do it right. Another thing is the single PCB board design, meaning each channels components are on 1 single dual sided PCB. They are not Modular in the sense that, if your EQ is having problems, you cant just pull the EQ cards and fix em. The whole channel is out of service until you fix it. A good deal IF you have the skills and the tools. A money pit if you don't...

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:38 pm

Note:

These DO NOT SOUND AT ALL LIKE THE CLASSIC LARGE NEVE MODULES OF THE 30 and 40 series consoles.

They sound like any other solid state console of the period. I personally dislike the sound of these generation Neve things.

Cheers.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.