RegisterRegister
FAQ  -  SEARCH  -  MEMBERS  -  FAVORITES  -  PROFILE
Can output level on tape machines be adjusted?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Tape Op Message Board Forum Index -> Gear Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BobbyRay
gettin' sounds

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:20 am    Post subject: Can output level on tape machines be adjusted? Reply with quote

I have been recording to a Tascam TSR-8 reel to reel tape machine for many years and my machine finally quit on the tail end of a 9 month project. The playback seems to have failed, was told it's most likely the capstan motor that stopped working properly. I purchased another TSR-8 in an attempt to keep the project going and finish. Now my previously recorded reels all play back with lower output level on the newer machine. The meters all read about 3-4db lower on playback of the working tape machine.

Can my current tape machine have the track levels increased internally somehow? There are no input or output level adjustments on the exterior of the machine.

Could I just swap the playback/record head with my old machine to correct the problem? It seems like it just plugs into a wiring harness.
Nick Sevilla
speech impediment

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:04 am    Post subject: Re: Can output level on tape machines be adjusted? Reply with quote

Hi,

It can be calibrated, but not "externally". In the back, you find a circuit card with all the alignment for recording and playback.

Do you have the operation manual and service manuals? They explain in detail what you need to do.

Also, do you have a test tape with tones?

Cheers
BobbyRay
gettin' sounds

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Can output level on tape machines be adjusted? Reply with quote

Hi.

I do have the manual.

I do not have a test tape though. Would the test tape be specific to my machine?
Nick Sevilla
speech impediment

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Can output level on tape machines be adjusted? Reply with quote

BobbyRay wrote:
Hi.

I do have the manual.

I do not have a test tape though. Would the test tape be specific to my machine?

Yes.

MRL makes test tone tapes for most any tape machine:

http://mrltapes.com/

Alternately, maybe someone here can make a copy, if they have one. Long shot, but worth asking...

Cheers
BobbyRay
gettin' sounds

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Can output level on tape machines be adjusted? Reply with quote

Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Tape Op Message Board Forum Index -> Gear Talk All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: