RegisterRegister
FAQ  -  SEARCH  -  MEMBERS  -  FAVORITES  -  PROFILE
Tascam 388 question - sqealing. Yes squealing and groaning

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Tape Op Message Board Forum Index -> Gear Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
the_snowfields
alignin' 24-trk

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:25 am    Post subject: Tascam 388 question - sqealing. Yes squealing and groaning Reply with quote

Just picked up a 388 for a song (back in biz!) and not only is the capstan motor louder than I remembered (there is a variable low frequency rumble, almost a ocean-going churning to it) but last night the motor started to pick up a high-pitched squeal/whine to it. I turned it off for a minute and it went away but now it is coming a going. No rubbing from the reel, new belt, every roller is lubed, etc. Seems all internal this problem.

Is there a way, and/or is it recommended, to oil these motors? This unit had been sitting in a garage for a long time - that's all I know about it's storage history. And that mice had nibbled at all the knobs. Strange feelings on the fingertips lemme tell ya.

Also can that motor rumbling be tamed? Are these separate issues?
kslight
dead but not forgotten

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Tascam 388 question - sqealing. Yes squealing and groaning Reply with quote

I've never really experienced that on the three I have owned, but my understanding is you can oil it. Maybe check the service book.

Also be sure your capstan belt is secure and that you have new tape on there.
the_snowfields
alignin' 24-trk

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Tascam 388 question - sqealing. Yes squealing and groaning Reply with quote

hmmmm - checked the belt, thats OK, tape is new too. If I am able to oil this, I am golden. Will stick my nose in the internets and see what I can find.

kslight wrote:
I've never really experienced that on the three I have owned, but my understanding is you can oil it. Maybe check the service book.

Also be sure your capstan belt is secure and that you have new tape on there.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Tape Op Message Board Forum Index -> Gear Talk All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: