Does Cubase 8.5 support Cubase 4 files?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

yellowmagnetichuman
audio school

Does Cubase 8.5 support Cubase 4 files?

Post by yellowmagnetichuman » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:01 pm

So...

I had the blessing/curse of a 2007 macbook pro staying alive and well for about 9 years, which, I was running Cubase 4 on. That time came to an end recently, and I upgraded to a Macbook Pro from 2015 running macOS Sierra 10.12.2.

Cubase 4 does not work on my current OS (do correct me if I'm wrong here but cannot find install CD and everything I've seen implies that it does not) so I'm wondering if Cubase 8.5 has backward compatibility with Cubase 4 files. Can anyone confirm this? From Steinberg's site it says that Cubase 8 DOES support Cubase 4 files, which, would be essential to me continuing to work on some of my old projects, but nothing on 8.5.

While emailing a Steinberg rep he said he could give me no clear answer as to if the recently released Cubase 9 would support Cubase 4 files, which kind of surprised me, but I appreciated his forthrightness. However, a little bit of searching has told me that Cubase 9 has *no* backwards compatibility...kind of mind blowing, but, it seems to be the case.

Any help or guidance on this issue would be MUCH appreciated before I throw down for a slightly older, but, backwards-compatible-friendly version of Cubase. Been a while (9 years) since I've delved into this world...probably shouldn't take a decade off next time!

cheers,
jon

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:57 pm

if that`s true I am shocked. Most of the people who would upgrade are currently using older versions and would want to be able to carry on work on the same projects in the newer software.

I have had cubase 4 - 7 and demod 8.5 - in Windows on PC.

I can always open older versions of cubase (and nuendo) in the newer Cubase version. I often track in 5 and mix in 7. I like the earlier comping style better but there`s som good functions built into the newer channel strips for mixing,

https://www.steinberg.net/en/support/kn ... /2020.html
the new rules : there are no rules