The Claypool Lennon Delirium

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

shedshrine
deaf.

The Claypool Lennon Delirium

Post by shedshrine » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:31 pm

The Claypool Lennon Delirium Ouside Lands Music & Arts Festival Sutro Stage Golden Gate Park San Francisco 08 05 2016

At some point during this fine 3 day weekend I was watching a concert on utube of the Claypool Lennon Delirium in SF. They were awesome!

In this humble listener's opinion Sean leavens the Claypool "psychotic hillbilly"' weirdness with his own mellower psychedelic weirdness.

They also threw in a couple covers: King Crimson's "Court of the Crimson King" and Barret-era Floyd's "Astronime Domine".

And yes, there is John in his voice, a different shade than with Julian.
Last edited by shedshrine on Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:36 pm

The album is excellent, a head-phone treat, with everything (or nearly) played by the two of them.

I am not particularly a Beatles fan, and while as a bassist I respect Primus I'm not much of a prog fan, but CLD brings enough psych and pure sound to make it a fun trip.

I gotta dig that CD out again ...
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:59 am

I saw them last June randomly (given tickets, hadn't heard of this project).

They were great, the album is pretty good (though mixed peculiarly), the opening act was funny (Chicano Batman). The concert was full of Primus fans though, so I felt out of place (not for disrespect to Les, just a different crowd than I'm used to). I went for Sean Lennon, he looks a lot like John and Yoko...if John grew a beard and then combed in Just For Men coloring. Sounds a lot like his dad too. Their keyboard player was very amusing. Could barely understand 10% of what Les sang because of poor mix/his use of fx.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:30 am

What do you find odd about the album mix? I only heard it in headphones a couple times a couple months ago and then it got misplaced ... But I remember digging it.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:01 pm

vvv wrote:What do you find odd about the album mix? I only heard it in headphones a couple times a couple months ago and then it got misplaced ... But I remember digging it.
Too much bass guitar (not to be confused with too much "bass"), in comparison to just about anything else I might consider important. It's not unlistenable, just...different.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:35 pm

Well, it is Les Claypool, not "Less" Claypool ... :twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:39 pm

I saw SL in the audience at a show in Bushwick a couple years ago (Quintron and Miss Pussycat, at Secret Project Robot). I kept glancing over, trying to figure out if that was him (it was... I looked up recent pics after) and though I was trying to be discreet about it he noticed and I think it was pissing him off. Sorry, Sean.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:13 am

Located and listened to the CD last night - great headphone fodder.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:00 pm

Fucking great album, one of the best of the year IMHO. I also saw them live, and despite the HORRIBLE acoustics of the State Theater in Portland Maine it was an awesome show.

A lot of great songs. Their cover of Tomorrow Never Knows was over the top fantastic.